Is climbing the Mönch in May advisable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 13:29:21 #815426

Friend and I are visiting CH in May, 15.05. – 20.05. We are planning to go to Jungfraujoch by train and spend two days in Monchjochhute. We would like to climb Monch. I am interested in climbing conditions in May. Is it dangerous, or not advisable to climb in that period? We have climbing equipment.

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2018 at 17:12:50 #882702

Hi Dragan-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

I’m not a climber, but I’d be surprised if the snow cover had diminished enough to make it possible. Even trails at lower altitudes than the Mönch ( note the spelling) don’t open until late June.

I’d also check the SAC hut website;

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts.html

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts/search-a-hut.html

I guess I’m surprised. The hut will be open and a warden will be present. Possibly you can get information even in April.

Amazing.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 23:12:51 #882703

Dragan– While Slowpoke’s suggestions are good ones, this probably isn’t the best forum on which to post technical climbing inquiries. There are Swiss climbing forums, or if your German is at the “Bahnhof” level, you could try one of the UK climbing forums (e.g., ukclimbing.com). You may be familiar with them.

I haven’t done the route you have in mind, but I suspect it will be important, especially this year, that you be comfortable assessing avalanche risk in the field.

Be safe.

NTL

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 April 2018 at 23:20:27 #882704

Hi Nevertoolate-

Thanks a lot for jumping in.

Your perspective is much appreciated.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 8:09:18 #882705

I know the climbing season is from June to September. But the main goal of the visit is not just rock climbing but acclimatization. Somewhere about 4.000 m. It could be Breithorn too. But when we were up there, it would be good to climb to the top. I am particularly concerned about the avalanche risk in May. So, if anybody has any usefull information it will be helpful…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2018 at 8:51:31 #882706

Hi Dragan-

We get all kinds on this forum, and I did not realize your knowledge level. Certainly you are way ahead of anything that I can offer.

There are a few serious Alpine hikers, if not technical climbers, who occasionally visit this forum, as you can see from Nevertoolate’s post.

Perhaps they will jump in.

Otherwise, did you check the link that Nevertoolate posted, or contact the hut warden?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15485 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:20:47 #882707

Hi Dragan,

You’ll find some interesting links on http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites, under “Weather & climate”. Particularly the link about avalanche warnings and the app is relevant. I am not a climber but I find the warnings for wet and dry avalanche risk handy to get at least some idea of the circumstances. Of course when climbing you also need to be able to estimate risks based on what you see on the mountain, and ask local experts.

Even though this forum is mainly for the “average” tourist, a trip report is always very welcome and interesting!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 7:31:25 #882708

Arno- Thanks for those links. The maps showing snowpack at the 2000 meter level and showing snowpack as a percentage of normal would appear of considerable help for hikers planning (non-technical) trips in the earlier parts of the summer and likely to be traveling part of the time at that elevation. Always a question whether to pack the gaiters, crampons and ice axe…

NTL

• The thread ‘Is climbing the Mönch in May advisable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11240 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.