Is climbing the Mönch in May advisable?

Is climbing the Mönch in May advisable?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Dragan
Dragan
2 posts
Apr 19, 2018 - 1:29 PM

Friend and I are visiting CH in May, 15.05. - 20.05. We are planning to go to Jungfraujoch by train and spend two days in Monchjochhute. We would like to climb Monch. I am interested in climbing conditions in May. Is it dangerous, or not advisable to climb in that period? We have climbing equipment.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4752 posts
expert
Apr 19, 2018 - 5:12 PM in reply to Dragan

Hi Dragan-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

I'm not a climber, but I'd be surprised if the snow cover had diminished enough to make it possible. Even trails at lower altitudes than the Mönch ( note the spelling) don't open until late June.

I'd also check the SAC hut website;

www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts.html

www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts/search-a-hut.html

I guess I'm surprised. The hut will be open and a warden will be present. Possibly you can get information even in April.

Amazing.

Slowpoke

Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
26 posts
Apr 19, 2018 - 11:12 PM

Dragan-- While Slowpoke's suggestions are good ones, this probably isn't the best forum on which to post technical climbing inquiries. There are Swiss climbing forums, or if your German is at the "Bahnhof" level, you could try one of the UK climbing forums (e.g., ukclimbing.com). You may be familiar with them.

I haven't done the route you have in mind, but I suspect it will be important, especially this year, that you be comfortable assessing avalanche risk in the field.

Be safe.

NTL

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4752 posts
expert
Apr 19, 2018 - 11:20 PM in reply to Nevertoolate

Hi Nevertoolate-

Thanks a lot for jumping in.

Your perspective is much appreciated.

Slowpoke

Dragan
Dragan
2 posts
Apr 20, 2018 - 8:09 AM in reply to Slowpoke

I know the climbing season is from June to September. But the main goal of the visit is not just rock climbing but acclimatization. Somewhere about 4.000 m. It could be Breithorn too. But when we were up there, it would be good to climb to the top. I am particularly concerned about the avalanche risk in May. So, if anybody has any usefull information it will be helpful...

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4752 posts
expert
Apr 20, 2018 - 8:51 AM in reply to Dragan

Hi Dragan-

We get all kinds on this forum, and I did not realize your knowledge level. Certainly you are way ahead of anything that I can offer.

There are a few serious Alpine hikers, if not technical climbers, who occasionally visit this forum, as you can see from Nevertoolate's post.

Perhaps they will jump in.

Otherwise, did you check the link that Nevertoolate posted, or contact the hut warden?

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
10765 posts
expert &
Apr 20, 2018 - 10:20 AM

Hi Dragan,

You'll find some interesting links on www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites, under "Weather & climate". Particularly the link about avalanche warnings and the app is relevant. I am not a climber but I find the warnings for wet and dry avalanche risk handy to get at least some idea of the circumstances. Of course when climbing you also need to be able to estimate risks based on what you see on the mountain, and ask local experts.

Even though this forum is mainly for the "average" tourist, a trip report is always very welcome and interesting!

Nevertoolate
Nevertoolate
26 posts
Apr 21, 2018 - 7:31 AM

Arno- Thanks for those links. The maps showing snowpack at the 2000 meter level and showing snowpack as a percentage of normal would appear of considerable help for hikers planning (non-technical) trips in the earlier parts of the summer and likely to be traveling part of the time at that elevation. Always a question whether to pack the gaiters, crampons and ice axe...

NTL

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018