Clothes & launderettes in or near Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2015 at 20:16:33 #807755

Hi,

We will be staying in Wengen next week for a fortnight and given the changeable weather am currently packing for warm & cold weather as we’ll mostly be getting trains up and walking down. As we’re staying for 2 weeks it would be handy to know if there are any launderettes in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen to save on our luggage weight?

Also, how cold is cold up on the mountains? We’re planning on heading up to Jungfraujoch, the Shilthorn, etc. Are hats, gloves and warm coats needed or just something to cover up? We’ve got 2 young kids (aged 3 & 6) so we won’t be doing any extreme walkng.

Thanks

Debbie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2015 at 20:24:55 #845355

Hi,

I’ve just checked out the detailed guide to Wengen on another post and got my answer on the laundrette! Would still be interested in knowing how cold is cold though?!

Thanks

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    14 August 2015 at 20:51:22 #845356

Hi Debbie,

Glad you found the info on the small laundry facility in Wengen. Did you get this information from the 3-section PDF, the one that includes instructions on how to use the machines, and so on? If not let me know and I can cut and paste that section into a separate reply.

You don’t need heavy coats. The key to staying warm on the peaks is layers. Thin layers + a fleece vest/top + windbreaker/raincoat is what you need. I would take gloves if the kids want to play outside in the snow atop Jungfraujoch (most likely a certainty!) Hats with bills for sun protection are also advisable but they don’t need to be snow hats.

Most visitors to Schilthorn don’t even go outside as there is a 360 degree revolving restaurant on top that enables you to see the entire panorama while enjoying a snack or drink. One revolution takes about an hour. There are etchings and descriptions of what you are seeing as you rotate by, very enjoyable.

You probably already know this, but only go up either peak on a clear day. If it is cloudy you spend a lot of time and money and see nothing. Wait to buy your tickets until the morning of your journey so you can check the webcams up top (they are at the train station)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 August 2015 at 21:01:14 #845357

<<“Glad you found the info on the small laundry facility in Wengen”>>

When I last used it – 5 or 6 years ago – it was small and slow, and did require some special magic….can’t remember what.

Isn’t there also a backup down below in Lauterbrunnen?

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    14 August 2015 at 21:09:43 #845358

Yes, there is also a laundromat in Lauterbrunnen near Hotel Oberland and Valley Hostel.

And, yes, there is a little magic! I’ll go ahead and clip the laundromat section of my document into this reply:

There is a small public laundromat in Wengen behind the Intersport Alpia store (across from the Eiger Residence, near the train station) that is open 7:00 am to 10:00 pm seven days a week. Follow the signs to the hair salon. The Laundromat (“Waschsalon”) is located directly across from the entrance to the hair salon behind a brown door (usually there is no sign). There are two washers that take four 1 franc coins only (wash time approximately 40 minutes) and one dryer that takes 1, 2 and 5 franc coins (2 francs per hour). If you don’t have correct change you can get some at Hotel Silberhorn which is just south of the Intersport Alipa store. (The Silberhorn manages the laundry facility and is also the place to go if you run into trouble with any of the machines.) The dryer doesn’t work particularly well but if you don’t overload it you can get a load dry in an hour. There are instructions printed on the machines in English. There is usually no detergent available there so you will have to buy some at one of the markets in town. (Ina pinch, check the area just behind the washers. That’s where a number of frequent visitors stash their left-over detergent for the next “in the know”visitor.) It’s best to go early since there’s often a line at other times. And given the limited public laundry services, be on time to retrieve your laundry from the machines. Otherwise, expect to find your things piled up on one of the tables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2015 at 21:38:33 #845359

Perfect, thanks for the detailed information. We’re really looking forward to our trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 August 2015 at 22:49:47 #845360

<<“Perfect, thanks for the detailed information. We’re really looking forward to our trip.”>>

After our experience with the laundry at the Silberhorn….very time consuming – we started washing some things in our sink at night. And, we took out partially dry stuff and hung it in the room.

The trains run perfectly…but the self service laundry is not so good. All throughout Switzerland, self-service laundry is scarce. Most people who live in apartments have a shared laundry facility….rigidly scheduled, I might add. The only places where you can easily find “eine Wäscherei mit Selbstbedienung ” for general public use is near camp grounds, youth hostels, travel destinations that attract a lot of backpackers (Interlaken) and, sometimes near universities.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Clothes & launderettes in or near Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.