Combining Swiss Travel Pass & Berner Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 14:35:48 #809456

My itinerary calls for 6-7 days travel around Switzerland (Lucerne, Bern, Geneva, Glacier Express, Zurich, etc.) using Lucerne as a base (2 adults and 2 kids) and then 3-4 days travel within Bernese Oberland using Lauterbrunnen as the base (2 adults and 2 kids). The final day will see a travel to Zurich to fly out.

What is the best train pass combination (Swiss Pass/Oberland Pass) to get? How many days each? Of course 15 days Swiss Pass and 3 days Oberland would cover every base. But is this required?

Thanks.

Venkat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 June 2016 at 15:06:15 #853162

Welcome Venkat!

How long will your entire trip take? 6-7 days, or 6-7 plus 3-4 days? In either case you seem to have planned a lot of traveling, so a Swiss Travel Pass would be ideal. Either one for 8 days or one for 15 days.

Buying an additional pass for a specific region usually does not pay off. Even the Swiss Travel Pass Flex plus a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is usually too expensive. The Swiss Travel Pass already includes a lot of free traveling around Lauterbrunnen: Wengen, Mürren, Grindelwald and Schynige Platte can all be reached free of charge. The boats are free as well. And museums too, like the Ballenberg open air museum. Please find all details on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass. Don’t forget to check the Promotion tab as there are some interesting promotions at the moment.

If you want to compare the costs of a Swiss Travel Pass to another pass or combination of passes, you will have to do the math to be sure: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/ chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2016 at 15:43:12 #853163

Thanks Arno. My trip is 6-7 plus 3-4 days. So, based on your suggestion, a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass looks like the best deal (though they do not cover the cost of some mountain cable trips as well as Swiss Travel Pass). But, I do think that I would come out ahead on the Swiss Travel Pass. Thanks.

• The thread ‘Combining Swiss Travel Pass & Berner Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.