Confused – free tickets with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2016 at 2:06:13 #808996

Can anyone help me !!! I am going to buy a first class 8 day pass for swiss rail, i have already booked a 1st class seat reservation on the Glacier Express so when i buy the pass does that mean that the actual ticket for the train is free ? the other question is can i actually travel first class on other trains for e.g.: Zermatt-Geneva and Geneva- Zurich without incurring any additional costs ??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 April 2016 at 5:34:23 #851166

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

You don’t need tickets. On free routes, all you need is your pass. That includes the Glacier Express route. You need to buy a discounted ticket for discounted routes. The routes can be found on the Swiss Travel Pass map.

Yes, you can travel in 1st class on all trains without further costs. The details can be found here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ howtouse.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2016 at 23:08:13 #851167

Thanks so much for the information it is very helpful I just have one more question. I am going to buy the pass now for the following dates 26/6/16-3/7/16 so when i use it to book the Glacier Express does it have some sort of number that i use to do this we are travelling on that train on the 27th June

Annika
    7122 posts
    25 April 2016 at 6:27:37 #851168

You don’t need any number, nor anything else concerning the Swiss Travel Pass. All you have to do now is arrange for your Glacier Express seat reservations (mind not to buy the train journey itself, as the ride is for free with your Swiss Travel Pass). As long as you have both your reservations and your Swiss Travel Pass at the moment of traveling, all is fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 7:18:30 #851169

thats fantastic thanks for the help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 7:35:03 #851170

I have just come across something else i don’t understand, I just started the order process and it looks like they don’t process the order until two weeks before the dates specified but we won’t be home we will already be travelling in other parts of the world so how do we get this pass as the airports for pick up are at the end of our trip !!

Annika
    7122 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:02:20 #851171

Hi again,

That’s no problem. You can just contact your reseller and ask for your pass to be delivered a.s.a.p., or before your date of departure from home. If you’re ordering through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, you even have the option of filling out such a request or any other questions/remarks at the end of the ordering process. If you pick the online ticket option, which is by far the easiest solution, you’ll receive a printable pass by e-mail within 1 to 3 days after your order. This option will appear after you’ve entered your country of residence.

• The thread ‘Confused – free tickets with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.