Corpus Christi in Switzerland, Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 4:40:27 #815758

Hi experts! Several questions.

1. May 31, Thursday, is Corpus Christi Day. How does that impact travel on trains in Switzerland and shops in the Lucerne area?

2. We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen on night of June 1. On June 2, we would like to go on the Glacier Express. By late evening, we plan to stay the night in Milan. Is this possible? Will the schedule be rushed? What do you suggest? We all have Swiss Travel Passes for the journey and Eurail passes for Italy.

Thank you for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 May 2018 at 4:51:42 #884357

The trains won’t be affected on May 31.

I would recommend the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) ahead of the Glacier Express.

You should probably read http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

If you were really desperate to take the Glacier Express then you would need to go to Brig to connect with it. Then to Andermatt and from there to Milan. Read the section “Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express route in one day” on this page.

Before you decide on the Glacier Express read this post.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 May 2018 at 16:56:10 #884358

Hi Mahalo,

I’d recommend the Gotthard Panorama Express too. You may even have time for an extra activitity en route, like a city walk or short boat trip in the south of Switzerland.

Doing part of the Glacier Express would make it a really long day, and the leg Brig-Andermatt is nice but not the best part of the route. To see some good scenery you’ll need to stay on board until Chur. Then take a bus to Bellinzona, then a train to Milan.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 5:57:54 #884359

Thank you for the great ideas! We now plan to go on the Gotthard Panorama Express from Lucerne. We plan to leave early from Lauterbrunnen. Do we make reservations for all points on this ride?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2018 at 6:25:38 #884360

You only need a reservation on the train from Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen. You can do that at goo.gl/vfV4wK. Enter departure time of 14:10 from Flüelen and look for a train identified by code EXT.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 19:57:07 #884361

Thanks for the website to get seats. The Swisspass website and the Swiss ticket site are confusing! What is up with that? Frustrating.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2018 at 20:19:17 #884362

Could you clarify what you find confusing. Are you referring to the Gotthard Panorama Express in particular? What is the Swisspass website?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 9:45:09 #884363

Yesterday, I went to the goo.gl/vfV4wK website for the seat reservations. Entered the information as described above. It asked for my SBB Ticket Shop Login which apparently is the same as my SwissPass login. It took many frustration attempts but finally, today, the SwissPass login was accepted at the SBB Ticket Shop login.

Next dilemma, I already purchased my Swiss Travel Pass, How do I make a seat reservation on the goo.gl/vfV4wK website. Is the STP an evoucher? Is there a cost for a seat reservation on the Gotthard Panorama Express? Is It better to sit on the left side of the train or the right?

Lots of questions. I hope this is clear. Thank you for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 May 2018 at 10:57:36 #884364

The seat reservation will cost you CHF24 whether you have a STP or not.

You cand find advice on which side of the train to sit on here http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ gettingthere. But . . . the reservation process does not offer the opportunity to pick seats on a particular side of the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 18:12:58 #884365

Rockoyster, Thank you for patiently walking me thru this GPEX seat reservation process. Our family will enjoy traveling in Switzerland due to your excellent advice. We have seat reservations!

Mahalo, Mahalo! (Thank you)

• The thread ‘Corpus Christi in Switzerland, Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.