Country of residence – buying Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 21:47:44 #809515

Dear Team,

Am trying to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass for myself and family online at your website-SBB chwww.sbb.ch” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”>.

There is a field wherein the COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE is to be entered. Am a citizen of INDIA holding Indian passport and working in the UNITED ARAB EMIRATES on residence work visa.

As identity proof we all will be carrying our INDIAN PASSPORT with UAE residence work permit/visa stamped.

Please guide me which country should i enter in the filed while buying the swiss travel pass. (screenshot of the relevant page below from your website).

Also am travelling from Dubai to Zurich and back to Dubai. So please guide me whether i should enter UAE or INDIA in the relevant field.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 June 2016 at 4:20:16 #853374

Hi Rajesh,

Please note that we don’t own that website. It’s the website of the Swiss railways, basically for Swiss citizens. As discussed in your other thread, the tourist web shop can be found through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. If you go there, they’ll first ask for your address, which is the United Arab Emirates in your case, because that’s where you currently live. Next, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list, so they will e-mail the pass to print it at home. Finally they will ask for passport details, and that’s where you fill out India, because that’s the country on your passport. The country on your passport and on the pass need to match.

Did it work for you now?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2016 at 5:32:13 #853375

Yes, first it asks for my billing address which in my case is United Arab Emirates and next it asks for delivery option which I selected as “online” after which it asks for name, passport number , date of birth and country of residence. Shouldn’t the country of residence be United Arab Emirates as am residing here even though my passport is Indian. I have UAE work permit or residence visa stamped on my Indian passport. Sorry to trouble you again, but really appreciate your advise. And last but not lease you both are doing a great by having this website and forum.

regards,

rajesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2016 at 6:05:55 #853376

Ideally it does not matter what you put since you are using Print@Home option. The ticket checker will only see the validity of your STP and your name. The country of residence etc are for record purposes only. But I would suggest you to put India as you are travelling on an Indian Passport.

Consider this situation — You know that you have a UAE work permit and working there but others do not know unless you show any proof. Merely having a UAE permit in passport does not mean you would be staying there also. I have a US visa but have returned to India.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 June 2016 at 6:22:47 #853377

Thanks for your compliments Rajesh! You should select India as the “country of residence” of your passport, as that’s what your passport shows. In reality, train staff will only occasionally check your passport. If they do, the passenger name and passport number matters most as explained by sskundu.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2016 at 7:05:38 #853378

Thanks a million Annika. You both are always there for us to make our Swiss trip memorable and thanks sskundu.

• The thread ‘Country of residence – buying Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.