Covid requirements to cross French-Swiss borders

• Catherine_H
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 January 2022 at 15:38:02 #826379

We are flying to Geneva from the US with a stopover in London. We are taking a shuttle from Geneva airport to Chamonix. We will stay a week in Chamonix and going back to Switzerland to stay 2 weeks. We will be taking the PCR test that should meet both France and Switzerland requirements.

I have specific questions that I can’t find the answers from the government/tourism websites.

1) Do we need to take a PCR or antigen test to cross the border from Chamonix to Switzerland? Our next destination is Zermatt.

2) Do they check the Covid test results at the border?

Thanks for your help! We are leaving in less than 3 weeks and I am getting anxious with all the COVID19 travel requirements.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 January 2022 at 16:40:36 #937945

Hi Catherine H,

Happy New Year and welcome to MySwissAlps.

As tourists, you will need to present a negative PCR or rapid antigen test before entering Switzerland. Random checks are carried out at the border.

You might also need to fill up an entry form. You can find the latest information about the travel requirements here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland (please refer to point No. 1)

Regards,

Anna

Catherine_H
    Participant
    13 posts
    5 January 2022 at 6:10:56 #937946

Thanks, Anna, for the reply.

When we leave Chamonix to go back to Switzerland, do we need another PCR or antigen test after spending after a week In Chamonix?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2022 at 7:29:45 #937947

Hi Catherine H,

yes, if you spend more than 24 hours outside of the country (Switzerland), you need to do the test again and also the entry form.

Regards,

Ildiko

APFELS
    Participant
    28 posts
    5 January 2022 at 18:30:26 #937948

I am confused a bit as the information seems to conflict. In the “Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?” forum topic, exceptions are listed, and one is, “Travelers who are in Switzerland for a transit journey without stopping don’t have to fill out the entry form and don’t have to be tested.” Does this exception mean if travelling from an airport to a destination outside of Switzerland (OP is traveling from Geneva to Chamonix, France, and I will be traveling from Zurich to Sölden, Austria), testing is not required? Also completing the “Travelcheck” at the FOPH website supports this exception. It should be noted the Travelcheck indicates Swiss Covid certificate or compatible certificate is required. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2022 at 17:46:47 #937949

Hi APFELS,

that is correct – for transit, you do not need to fill out the Entry form or the PCR test. But for the flight, probably you need the test.

Catherine H needs a test and the entry form to be able to enter Switzerland after their (Chamonix) France holiday. If you spend at least 24 hours in Switzerland, you need the entry form and the negative test. But for your flight, you might need the negative test anyway. Right?

‘Travelcheck’ is also reliable.

Make sure, to check the entry restrictions in Austria. The last time I’ve been there they were asking for PCR test or the 3. dose of vaccination. Although I am not sure if it is still the case.

More train info for you , as you are going to Austria: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/austria

Ildiko

APFELS
    Participant
    28 posts
    9 January 2022 at 20:15:45 #937950

Thank you Ildiko for your reply. Upon further reading, it appears that I need to have a negative test to present upon entering Switzerland on my way to Austria. This appears to be due to my departing the aircraft and taking the train from Zurich to Austria. In Austria, they are currently requiring “2 G,” proof of vaccination or proof of recovery (a PCR test is used only as evidence of infection followed by recovery). Of course, I am aware that all of this could change before our trip in March.

Anna
    6382 posts
    10 January 2022 at 7:44:36 #937951

Hi APFELS,

From my experience, I think you don’t need to test if you are in transit at the airport (not leaving the transit area and just catching a connecting a flight). However if you leave the airport and taking a connecting train, a test is usually required. The requirements may change again as you mentioned, so please check the updates again closer to your departure dates 🙂

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Covid requirements to cross French-Swiss borders’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.