Buying food on Swiss trains with a credit card?

Buying food on Swiss trains with a credit card?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jsully
Jsully
7 posts
Aug 20, 2017 - 6:32 PM

hello

we will be traveling from Italy into Switzerland, so we will be on the train for a few hours. Do the trains have food/drink? and do the take credit cards or should we have cash CF?

Thanks

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 21, 2017 - 5:45 AM in reply to Jsully

Hi Jsully,

EuroCity trains have a restaurant, open from 6.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. InterCity trains often have a restaurant or bistro, or a mobile trolley selling snacks and drinks. If there are any catering facilities on a train, it will be indicated in the timetable.

If there is no information in the timetable about a restaurant, bar or mini-bar on the train, there will be no food or snacks available: this is usually the case with regional and local trains. There are usually a number of food outlets in the bigger railway stations, and often at least one shop or kiosk selling a few pre-prepared sandwiches, rolls or snacks in smaller ones.

They will accept credit cards, but there might be a minimum spend required.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 21, 2017 - 9:53 AM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
8928 posts
expert &
Aug 21, 2017 - 6:05 AM in reply to Jsully

Hi Jsully,

There has almost always been some issue when I try to pay with credit cards on trains. (Connection problems etc.) I would definitely have cash on me for the train. International trains will accept Euros as well.

In the end I find buying food at the train station a much better option (choice and quality).

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018