Buying food on Swiss trains with a credit card?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jsully
Jsully
7 posts
Aug 20, 2017 - 6:32 PM

hello

we will be traveling from Italy into Switzerland, so we will be on the train for a few hours. Do the trains have food/drink? and do the take credit cards or should we have cash CF?

Thanks

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 21, 2017 - 5:45 AM in reply to Jsully

Hi Jsully,

EuroCity trains have a restaurant, open from 6.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. InterCity trains often have a restaurant or bistro, or a mobile trolley selling snacks and drinks. If there are any catering facilities on a train, it will be indicated in the timetable.

If there is no information in the timetable about a restaurant, bar or mini-bar on the train, there will be no food or snacks available: this is usually the case with regional and local trains. There are usually a number of food outlets in the bigger railway stations, and often at least one shop or kiosk selling a few pre-prepared sandwiches, rolls or snacks in smaller ones.

They will accept credit cards, but there might be a minimum spend required.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 21, 2017 - 9:53 AM by Lucas
Lucas
Lucas
10496 posts
top member
Aug 21, 2017 - 6:05 AM in reply to Jsully

Hi Jsully,

There has almost always been some issue when I try to pay with credit cards on trains. (Connection problems etc.) I would definitely have cash on me for the train. International trains will accept Euros as well.

In the end I find buying food at the train station a much better option (choice and quality).

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019