How to best cross Italy – Switzerland – France

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 9:22:14 #816956

I am traveling with hub & baby (1 year old) in October to the 3 places.

From Venice – Lugano – Interlaken (Jungfraujoch) – Colmar, Strasbourg – Lucern

I am super confuse on the Rail Pass and what is best to get for my above route. especially Lugano – Interlaken and to JungfrauJoch

Can anyone please advise

1) Whats the best pass (cheapest way) to get for my above route Italy – Switz – France.

2) Recommended route for Lugano – Interlaken, and to Jungfrau from Interlaken?

i understand there is Gotthard scenic route but it goes up to Lucerne and i do not want to spend my time traveling back and forth, any other ideas/route to interlaken?

Thank you very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 12:28:19 #889704

Hi LinLin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
      https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass
    2. You can follow the Gotthard Express route as far as Flüelen and then catch a train there on to Interlaken. https://www.myswissalp s.com/gotthardpanorama express
    3. Or, from Lugano, travel to Domodossola via the Centovalli Express from Locarno and then on to Brig and the Lötschberg line, via Kandersteg, Spiez and Interlaken.

You can plan out various trips and see what works for you on the Swiss railways timetabile (SBB) here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 14:44:17 #889705

1. because we are doing across border traveling. so i am not sure what is the best way to do so. do you have any idea, on border crossing planning and its possible rail pass? (not only in Switzerland, but italy and france) should i get the eurorail pass or something like that?

2. thank you for the recommendation. i was trying to look for Fluelen train to interlaken and failed to find a direct train. is there a direct train that runs between Fluelen and interlaken?

3. thanks for the recommendation. is this route as scenic as the gotthard route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 18:41:44 #889706
    1. You can get a rail pass that covers travel in multiple countries, or buy a point to point ticket from one country to another.
      The only question is which option is cheaper in the end: Buying tickets to/from Switzerland and then a Swiss rail pass of some sort or a Eurail Pass to cover several countries. Swiss rail passes offer better coverage in Switzerland and point to point tickets can be cheap if bought far enough ahead. usually a Eurail pass only offers you savings in the end if you are doing 3, 4 or more trips in other countries as well as Switzerland. try to think of most of Europe (Schengen zone countries) as not having any borders. You won’t know you’ve crossed a border most of the time.
    2. There wouldn’t be a direct train no. The timetable will give you the most direct options: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable
    3. Yes, I think so! I quite enjoyed it. 🙂
  • The thread ‘How to best cross Italy – Switzerland – France’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.