Crowded trains on weekends and public holidays?

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    12 December 2016 at 2:57:00 #810440

Hi,

Can anyone advise if the trains will be crowded on the long weekend of 17 & 18 Sept 2017 when a public holiday falls on the Mon 18th? I will avoid flying into Switzerland on 18th Sept if thats the case.

Also are trains generally crowded on normal weekends as well? we will avoid travelling on a Sat and Sun if so.

we are planning to travel 1st Class on these routes (except mt trains). We have medium sized luggages with us (not using the forwading services):

Zurich Airport – Luzern – Engelberg (Mon 18 Sept or Tue 19 Sept) 2017

Engelberg – Luzern – Wengen (23 or 24 Sept 2017)

Murren – Grindelwald on a Sat 30 Sept 2017.

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2016 at 10:30:36 #857400

It is always posible a train is crowded, also on other days. But when you travel on first class, the problem is not so great, the most people travels second class.

We always travel in Switserland by train, never we have te problem the train was so crowded that there was no place in second class.

I see not a problem to travel on this days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2016 at 10:50:55 #857401

>> Can anyone advise if the trains will be crowded on the long weekend of 17 & 18 Sept 2017 when a public holiday falls on the Mon 18th? I will avoid flying into Switzerland on 18th Sept if thats the case.

The trains will quite possibly be crowded, but usually only in 2nd class, and probably only for some routes and some departures. Closer to the time of travel, you can look up your intended trip in the SBB online timetable, and it will show how busy any given train is likely to be, both in 1st class and 2nd class. Personally I wouldn’t change my plans for that reason.

>> Also are trains generally crowded on normal weekends as well? we will avoid travelling on a Sat and Sun if so.

On some routes they can be, especially in good weather, as lots of locals are out and about in addition to the tourists. Most people will be travelling 2nd class though. Again, check the timetable closer to your travel date.

>> we are planning to travel 1st Class on these routes (except mt trains). We have medium sized luggages with us (not using the forwading services):

Zurich Airport – Luzern – Engelberg (Mon 18 Sept or Tue 19 Sept) 2017

I would not expect this to be crowded, certainly not in 1st class.

>> Engelberg – Luzern – Wengen (23 or 24 Sept 2017)

In my experience last September, the train from Luzern to Interlaken was often crowded in 2nd class. Not so crowded that you couldn’t get a seat, but a bit inconvenient if travelling with luggage. When I was travelling with luggage, I upgraded to 1st class, which had plenty of spare seats and room for luggage where I could keep an eye on it.

>> Murren – Grindelwald on a Sat 30 Sept 2017.

I would be surprised if it was crowded then. It is right towards the end of the season, when many hotels close until about the week before Christmas, so many people will have left.

Alpenrose

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    12 December 2016 at 11:01:54 #857402

The issue is more about luggage space especially from Interlaken Ost to Wengen since there is no 1st Class. So to be safe I will not depart on a weekend for that route.

Now it’s whether to take a risk and book the flight ticket to arrive Zurich on Sun 17/18 Sept long weekend and proceed to Engelberg, hoping 1st Class wont be a problem with the luggages.

Thanks Brahms and Alpenrose for your input.

Arno
    15482 posts
    12 December 2016 at 12:06:31 #857403

I am not aware of any significant national holidays during those dates. I would not worry about Interlaken Ost to Wengen. Tourists travel with luggage all the time there, and it’s only a short ride. The leg from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen is car free, so everyone takes their luggage on the train. Very common. Worst case you will have to stand for 14 minutes.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    12 December 2016 at 15:29:03 #857404

Hi Arno, according to the Swiss Public Holiday Calendar, it says Sunday 17 September is “Swiss Federal Fast” day for all regions except Geneva (3rd Sun of September) and Mon 18 Sept is “Bettagsmontag” holiday for Bern, Neuchatel and Vaud.

Are these major holidays which will attract the crowds to visit the bernese oberland and Luzerne?

Arno
    15482 posts
    12 December 2016 at 15:50:12 #857405

Hi traveljet,

No, these are not major holidays. I don’t think there will be a noticeable difference between this Sunday and any other Sunday. As far as I know the Monday is a normal working day in most cantons. I would certainly not stay put because of these days. Just enjoy your day trips as normal. Regionally, there may be more, or less, travelers than normal.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    12 December 2016 at 16:36:16 #857406

Ok Arno, thanks for the update especially the 17, 18th weekend holidays.

• The thread ‘Crowded trains on weekends and public holidays?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.