Cruise or train between Murten and Neuchâtel

• Dan_Gifford
    Participant
    17 posts
    27 February 2022 at 21:52:47 #826576

Traveling from Murten to Neuchâtel, is it worth the time and expense to take the the two-lake cruise between them? Perhaps just one way or not at all? We’ll have the Swiss Travel Pass, so the train will be covered by that and it is a much shorter journey. Of course, if the cruise is just stunning and not to be missed, we’ll take that into account but some expert opinions would be helpful.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 February 2022 at 7:48:37 #939065

HI Dan Gifford,

Yes, it is indeed faster to take the train. The boat cruise from Murten to Neuchatel takes at least 1.5 hours but I heard it is a very pleasant experience. Along the way, you’ll see some vineyards and cross some canals. So if you have a couple of hours to spare I think the cruise is a good option. And just to confirm the Swiss Travel Pass is valid on both trains and boats.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2022 at 1:06:27 #939066

I don’t know if I would describe the as ‘stunning’, more ‘pleasant’. Lac de Neuchatel and Lac de Morat are ‘lowland’ lakes so the shorelines are less spectacular than most other Swiss lakes. However the lake journey’s USP is that it is ‘different’ due to the canals linking the two lakes.

Murten-Morat has I think become officially bilingual (like Biel/Bienne).

• The thread ‘Cruise or train between Murten and Neuchâtel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.