Best currency exchange USD to Swiss Francs

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 12:05:17 #820477

Hi

I am planning on going to my bank here in the US and getting Swiss Franks before we leave. Do any of you know if the exchange rate would be better if we wait to exchange once we get to hotel in Switzerland or ATM? Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 12:26:34 #906926

Hi LOswald,

As I live in Switzerland I cannot really give personal input on this question. Let’s wait for some member to share his experience.

in any case make sure to read this page for helpful information:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Generally speaking it’s surely reasonable to carry some cash on you as well as a credit card, just to cover any occasion.

To exchange currencies in Switzerland I always recommend the SBB rail stations, they offer transparent currency exchange, are widely spread and handy if you travel by train anyway.

Best,
    Steph

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 March 2019 at 16:30:57 #906927

Hi LOswald,

Unless your US bank is used to sell CHF notes, they will overcharge you for the service of obtaining them. Most travellers use credit cards and ATMs, of which there are plenty, including in the arrival area of the airport and at border train stations.

Just get your bank to confirm to you that your ATM card will work in Switzerland, same for your credit card.

CHF 1.00 is approximately equal to USD 1.00.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 20:47:23 #906928

Broadening the question a bit, here are the preferred ways to go in funding your Swiss trip, in my experience:

To purchase goods in CH: Use a credit card (such as Chase Sapphire Preferred) that doesn’t charge for currency conversions, and be sure to run the payment at the store in CH francs (not USD–otherwise the store or its bank takes a slice to convert).

To get cash in CH: Use a debit card at a bank ATM (not a non-bank one, however), preferably a card that doesn’t charge for currency conversions and/or that reimburses you for using other banks’ ATMs. BTW– You will probably have a CHF300 per day limit on ATM withdrawals, which seems like a lot, until you get there…

Never go to a currency exchange office, if it can be avoided. Ditto, using hotel desks.

Buying CHF notes in US probably not cost-effective, unless you happen to work for a bank and can avoid the add-on charges.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 21:14:52 #906929

Thank you all for such great information. You may have just saved me some money ;o)

Laila

SLOHiker
    Participant
    5 posts
    23 March 2019 at 21:06:55 #906930

Snowman and Nevertoolate are correct. One added bit of advice: be sure to contact your credit card company and bank debit card issuer with a ‘travel alert’ before you leave the US so your transactions will be accepted and processed once in Switzerland. This can be done online if you want. If you’re unsure about using your debit card the first time for an ATM withdrawal in a foreign country, use an ATM (ideally in your card’s system) at a local bank during open hours. That way, if you have a problem someone at the bank may be able to help you. Plus, it should be daylight, making your activity a bit safer. Enjoy your travels to wonderful Switzerland.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 22:42:51 #906931

Here is a good place, consistent with the above advice, if you wish to exchange foreign currency at Zürich airport ( as of September 2108).

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/atmforex-at-zurich-airport

To reinforce what others have said – exchange booths in Switzerland, if they are not not run by banks, can have exorbitant costs.

Some banks with lots of ATM’s are UBS, Credit Suisse, and Raiffeisen Bank, throughout all of Switzerland. Near Zürich, ZKB ( Zürich Kantonal Bank) has plenty of ATMS.

I always look up exchange rates here, before I travel and occasionally while on the road:

http://www.bloomberg.com/mark ets/currencies

then look at the posted rates ( if available). The rates at Travelex brand booths – everywhere that I have looked at them in the USA and Switzerland – are much more expensive than the rates at bank run facilities. They can be up to a 10% or higher premium over the bank rates.

The Chase credit card mentioned above ( which also use) , and some American Express cards, to name a few, charge about 3% premium over the rates at Bloomberg.

There are no longer any “per transaction” fees with these cards. I have periodicaly used both kinds on the same day while in Switzerland, to test which is better. Their rates are almost exactly the same, with, on average, AMEX a tiny tiny fractional amount better. Not enough to make a difference unless you’re moving millions of dollars. ;-).

When used to wire money to my small Swiss bank account at Post Finance, before FATCA caused Swiss banks to become disinterested in having accounts of US citizens, Chase charged 2.7% above the bank rates posted at Bloomberg.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Best currency exchange USD to Swiss Francs’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.