Current weather

• Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    13 June 2015 at 0:25:49 #807391

Arno, Annika,

I understand that alot of Switzerland is to receive major rain storms in the next few days. Quite by accident I caught a report that indicated there could be major flooding in many areas. Not that it’s your job but could you possibly let us know of any major flooding/damage in the major tourist areas if that occurs. Just a quick note for us over the next few days. Thanks.

Tim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 June 2015 at 16:07:01 #843786

Hi Tim,

I didn’t see anything extreme in the forecast so far, although outdoor activities will be a problem. Which report are you referring to? There’s a warning for thunderstorms in the north east. Please see http://www.meteoschweiz.admin .ch/home.html?tab=alarm for weather alerts for the next 24 hours. If areas on that map turn red/dark brown, then there’s a real danger. This forecast is talking about the possibility of intense rainfall in the Northern Alps on Sunday, but after that things calm down. Still rain on Monday and Tuesday but nice weather from Wednesday. So they say now. Things can change rapidly in the mountains!

If train services are interrupted you will see so in the timetable.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 June 2015 at 13:15:23 #843787

This afternoon/evening, local landslides could occur in the North, in case of hefty rainfall. I haven’t see flooding warnings yet.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2015 at 4:41:19 #843788

The weather caused two railway interruptions on the routes Weinfelden to Gossau SG and Bern to Neuchâtel. In both cases there are bus services instead. Also one lane of the A1 motorway between St. Gallen and Zürich is closed due to mud on the road. This should be cleared by noon. A few local roads are also closed, mainly around Kradolf-Schönenberg. On http://www.meteoschweiz.admin . ch/home.html?tab=bulletin, the forecast now says that small streams may overflow. For larger streams, it “can’t be ruled out” in the north. Warnings for hefty rainfall are at level 2 (moderate) at the moment (only for the north).

Which forecast are you following Tim?

Fognorth
    Participant
    29 posts
    15 June 2015 at 14:06:46 #843789

Arno,

I am keeping an eye on the Wengen area however I won’t actually be there for about a week. Originally my idea was to keep anyone already there up to speed on potential problems. I hope some are appreciating your updates. If I were there now I certainly would be keeping up with your posts. Thanks so much.

Tim

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2015 at 14:15:55 #843790

Hi Tim,

I haven’t heard about problems in the Jungfrau region. The severe problems are very local and mainly in the north east of Switzerland. I don’t think you’ll experience any issues next week. Unless there’s a new surprise of course. There were huge floods in 2005 in that area. Lots of water in Wilderswil, and an entire suburb was destroyed in Brienz.

Enjoy your time in Wengen!

• The thread ‘Current weather’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.