Day trip to FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2015 at 9:43:29 #808188

Hello.

i intend to visit the Passes mentioned (FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass) July.We’ll be staying in Interlaken.

is it possible to drive there in July?is it possible to do it in the same day?what is the preferred one to visit?

any recommendation ?

Thanks, Arie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 December 2015 at 10:15:01 #847251

Hi Arie,

All passes are open in July, although temporary closures because of the weather or rock slides are always possible. So keep an eye on the traffic reports.

It’s certainly doable in a day. Assuming you’ll take it slow and make some stops along the way, I would estimate it to take 6-7 hours or so.

For a very special side trip, have a look here: http://www.grimselwelt.ch/gri mselhotels-en/oberaar-en/. You can hike from the Grimsel Pass to the restaurant, or drive on the (very narrow) road. Of course this makes the day even longer, so do start early.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 December 2015 at 9:47:35 #847252

Hi Arie,

Over the years I’ve made this day trip several times, starting from near Interlaken. If you start rather early you don’t have to hurry and you’ll have time enough for one or more breaks. I’ve done this both ways, but for some reason I prefer this order of passes: Susten – Furka – Grimsel. If you prefer this way round take care not to take the Motorway “Gotthardstrasse” in Wassen. From Wassen to Göschenen (and Andermatt) and near the Schollenenschlucht is a very nice part of the trip.

It’s a really beautiful day trip if weather conditions are good.

Enjoy!

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2015 at 10:29:05 #847253

Arno, Thanks 🙂

Wandermann, Thanks a lot for your tip’s…

i will consider your advice !!

Arie

• The thread ‘Day trip to FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.