Day trips from Bern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2012 at 3:33:26 #805705

Hi all,

I’ve been reading about day trips from Bern for a while-as well as museums in Bern. I’ll buy a Swiss pass for 8 days. It provides free travel on train and bus between cities, isn’t it?

I’ll be in Switzerland between January 9-16. I’ll stay just between Zurich and Bern. Although I’m planning to spend 1 or 2 days in Zurich, for some reason I’m much more interested in Bern. I’m such a museum-person and I have a list of museums in Bern which I’d like to pay a visit.

I want to go Reichenbach Falls as well but as i understand from the documents I’ve read, it’s closed for visitors on January. Am I right? If not, how can I go to the falls from Bern? (From Bern to Meiringen, and then?)

Planning a day trip is an another issue for me. I want to go Thun (for a nice lake-and-mountain view), Mülenen (also for the view), Gimmelwald, Brienz and etc. Since I have a few days in Bern, I don’t want to spend time with two similar place. So I need your advice about that.

Thank you very much for your help.

Gizem

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 November 2012 at 10:19:35 #837804

Welcome to the forum Gizem! Yes, the Swiss Pass allows you to travel for free in trains, buses and boats throughout the country. Please visit the Swiss Pass page for all details and a downloadable validity network map.

The Reichenbach falls are closed down indeed; they won’t be open until next May.

As for your day trips: how many days do you want to spend outside of Bern? And are scenic views your main point of interest? Thun is worth your time indeed. You could combine it with a boat trip to Interlaken. There, you can continue your journey to Brienz or head for Lauterbrunnen/Stechelberg/Mürren (near Gimmelwald). I would also advise the wonderful scenic train trip up from Lauterbrunnen/Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and back down to Grindelwald. And have you considered viewing points such as Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch? If you don’t want to rush, I would advise to spread such trips over two days instead of doing it all in one day. You can plan all trips using the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 November 2012 at 8:09:08 #837805

Hi Annika.

I have 7 days in Switzerland and I’m planning to spend 2 in Zurich and 5 in Bern and around.

I’m mostly interested in scenic views and historical places. I’m thinking to visit Gimmelwald but I googled Lauterbrunnen after you mentioned and it seems more interesting.

I should take 1 day trips rather than 2 or more days.

And at last but not least… Does it rain or snow in Bern on january? 🙂

Thank you for your help,

Gizem

Annika
    7103 posts
    30 November 2012 at 7:00:39 #837806

Hi Gizem. If you want to spend one day out of Bern, you could make a round trip like Thun – Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Meiringen – Brienz – back to Bern. It will be a long trip and you won’t have daylight all the time, but in daylight and good weather the views are fantastic.

As for the weather in Bern: it will be pretty cold by January, but both rain and snow are possible.

• The thread ‘Day trips from Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.