December Swiss itinerary and “homebase” advice

• Shar_1011
    Participant
    1 post
    25 June 2022 at 2:23:14 #827589

Hello there,

I’ll be travelling to Switzerland this December 2022 with parents and I would like to get some advice in planning my itinerary.

We will be landing in Zurich on 21st Dec Morning and we will be taking a short trip to Milan before heading back to Switzerland on the 24th Dec. So we were planning on staying in Lucerne for 1 night. Subsequently staying in Interlaken, making it our ‘homebase’. Since I’m travelling with my parents I don’t really wish to change our accommodation often. So could someone kindly advise if Interlaken is a good ‘homebase’ for our travel plan or have any other recommendation and if the current itinerary is feasible? Below is my current itinerary draft. Also, since we will be travelling during Christmas is there anything that we would need to take note of? Thank you in advance. 🙂

Day 4 24/12: Milan to Lucerne

– Entire Lucerne Old Town

– Dying Lion Monument of Lucerne

– Mount Pilatus

Day 5 25/12: Lucerne to Interlaken

Lunch?

Lake Then (8 castles) (Boat tour)

Lake Brienz

Funky chocolate club

Lauterbrunnen

Day 6 26/12: Interlaken

Day trip to jungfraujoch

Day 7 27/12: Interlaken

Day trip to Grindelwald

Day 8 28/12: Interlaken

Day trip to Zermatt

Day 9 29/12: Interlaken to Zurich

Day 10 30/12: Zurich

Hotel near airport?

Day 11 31/12: Flight Home: 10.35am

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    25 June 2022 at 12:19:46 #943548

Hi Shar 1011,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Interlaken is a good base for a winter holiday: https://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken. Most of your day trips are doable. Do take note however that 25 Dec and 26 Dec are public holidays in Switzerland. On these days, shops and business are usually closed, except those at major train stations. Public and mountain transportation will be running but possibly at a reduced schedule. So plan your itinerary carefully and do double check the opening times if you are visiting specific destinations.

You can find more helpful information about planning a winter trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/winter

I think it’s a good idea to spend a night in Zurich if your have a flight to catch in the morning. You can find hotel options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/hotels

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘December Swiss itinerary and “homebase” advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.