Swiss degustations on Belle Epoque worth it?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2019 at 20:07:35 #822013

I understand it is probably over priced but is it worth the splurge? Traveling with a 16 year old who is ALWAYS HUNGRY, Switzerland my break my bank!

-S

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2019 at 2:44:24 #914095

Hi Sherri,

Do you think a “tasting plate” will satisfy an always-hungry 16-year old? I can’t say the advertising at http://www.goldenpass.ch/asse ts/media/offer/Caterin g/web_MOB_carte_boisso ns_2017.pdf tempts me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2019 at 2:52:52 #914096

I always thought that part of the enjoyment of a degustation menu was the accompanying wines which a 16 year old couldn’t enjoy. I’ve never found ritzy degustation meals to be particularly filling but more a tasting of a variety of dishes.

If I were taking my endlessly hungry sons out at that age it would be to somewhere that serves huge meals for a reasonable price as it was always quantity rather than quality that won the day because, regardless of the size of the meal, in a few hours they would be hungry again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2019 at 3:06:50 #914097

LOL. Well said paddington. In this case I think the “degustation” consists of bread, cheese and salami!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2019 at 11:55:22 #914098

Hello Sherri,

I’ve had a look at Rockoysters link and have the same reaction.

A fresh degustation plate for me does NOT contain prepacked plastic dishes! For a splurge I’m sure it’s fine but it’s quite definitely overpriced. You can buy the same things in the supermarket before departure for a quarter (this is an approximation).

Best,
    Steph

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    6 June 2019 at 5:42:10 #914099

Hello,

Belle Époque trains or boats ? I can’t tell from reading your initial enquiry. I am wondering if you are asking about the dégustations one can have on the Belle Époque ships operated by the CGN on Lake Geneva. On their website, this translates to “The Captain’s Table”, and I am sure it goes beyond some bread, cheese, and salami. Check out the following link: http://www.cgn.ch/en/the-captain-s-table-patrimoine-tour.html which shows the route for this trip and the prices, which includes the ticket for the cruise. This price is CHF 75 for an adult and for a “child” aged from 13 to 16 it is CHF 50. Other items can be ordered à la carte.

Here in PDF are the daily specials from April 8 to October 22, 2019: http://www.cgn.ch/media/pdf/m enus/Assiettes_EN.pdf The caterer is Eldora Traiteur, from Lausanne.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 June 2019 at 6:17:52 #914100

Interesting question Peterli. I jumped to the conclusion we were talking about the Golden Pass Belle Epoque.

The Captain’s Table seem to be more of a main course type thing as opposed to a dégustation. I am particularly taken by the “Zurich-style parson’s nose of poultry, rösti, pan-fried mushrooms and pearl onions”. 😉

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    6 June 2019 at 6:43:18 #914101

Hi Rockoyster,

In the French version of “La Table du Capitaine” the wording is as follows: “Dégustez un délicieux menu préparé par Eldora Traiteur SA tout en découvrant les paysages du Léman ! Un point de vue unique sur les vignobles en terrasse de Lavaux – patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO – et le Château de Chillon. Une subtile conjugaison entre évasion lacustre et gastronomie.“, but I know what you mean ! I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to fancy meals, so I figure I would go for the “Rack of pork stuffed with dried apricots,honey-infused juice, sweet potato purée, steamed peas and yellow carrots” Isn’t it funny how descriptions of food seem to be elevated when they are in French ? “Carré de porc farci aux abricots secs, jus au miel, purée de patates douces, étuvée de petits pois et carottes jaunes“. So refined, and often so pretentious. They even use the word “purée” on the English menu as it sounds much more elegant than “mashed”. How banal. I must admit that I prefer the word “smashed” as it seems more appropriate. Another word I like to fiddle with is “flutterby”. I guess I’d better get back on topic, though. Kind of back on topic, I wonder if I could switch from the sweet potato purée to some rösti for my menu choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2019 at 14:58:46 #914102

Thanks all.

I am talking about the train, not the boat though I don’t think the plate that you order in advance is what is pictured in the menu as it is my understanding that it is served at your seat and costs 23 CHF.

from this website: http://www.goldenpassline.ch/ fr/useful-informations/

“Passengers in the wine-tasting car in 2nd class or the gorgeous Belle Epoque cars in 1st class can order a selection of cheese and cold meat specialities served on a wooden board to be brought to their seat.”

I’m not sure why a 16 year old would not be able to enjoy wine if it was also included? We will have had lunch so this would be a snack on the train, i’m certainly not expecting the kid to be satisfied for hours on it but was wondering if anyone had actually had it and could comment on it directly.

There does not seem to be contact info at that website so I will continue my quest for information on what this plate actually looks like!

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 June 2019 at 15:33:13 #914103

Well, wine is considered not healthy for children and teens. That’s why there are regulations that forbid selling alcoholic beverages to people under the age of 16 or 18 (depending on the product). I think wine is allowed from 16. I’m sure they can serve something else to anyone who does not want or like wine, or if they are not allowed because of the age.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2019 at 18:36:45 #914104

Someone on another forum was able to find a picture for me. It’s a few years old but I’m going with it. Looks like a pretty healthy size snack!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d1417336-r363111781-GoldenPass_Line-Montreux_Canton_of_Vaud.html#UR363111781

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 June 2019 at 22:34:28 #914105

Certainly a big snack. Wonder why their current menu does not show that option. Also wonder how much it costs given their much smaller bread cheese salami dried meat option is CHF25. Let us no how you go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2019 at 2:43:17 #914106

I went ahead and booked it. I don’t think it is available in the cafe car – it says it is only available in 1st class and the 2nd class wine car and is served at your seat. I paid 66 CHF for 2 seat reservations and 2 tasting boards – a splurge for sure but at this point i’m just dropping money left and right for this kids 16th birthday trip! I will be sure to take photos to share.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2019 at 3:04:58 #914107

So that’s CHF25 per head for the tasting board which is the same price as the one shown (see attached) in the menu at http://www.goldenpass.ch/asse ts/media/offer/Caterin g/web_MOB_carte_boisso ns_2017.pdf.

Doesn’t quite look like the deal the guy on TripAdviser had but maybe it will look more like that in real life. Hope you and the lucky lad enjoy. 😎

• The thread ‘Swiss degustations on Belle Epoque worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.