Aug 18, 2013 - 10:15 PM
Hello. My husband and I are from Canada and will be arriving in Zurich (ZRH) on Saturday, Oct 5. Based on my inquiry to this forum back in January, it was suggested we get a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. I am now about to order them, and make reservations, but have not been able to find answers to some specific questions I have.
First, this is our itinerary:
Sat Oct 5: ZRH to Zermatt
Sun Oct 6: Zermatt to St Moritz via Glacier Express (1st class panoramic; Train 906 departing 09:52)
Sun Oct 6: St Moritz to Pontresina via ? (train/bus?) (staying the night at Hotel Bernina)
Mon Oct 7: Pontresina to Tirano via Bernina Express (1st class panoramic; Train 961 departing 09:52)
My questions are:
- Am I correct in assuming we need to purchase a "first class" saver flexi pass in order to reserve 1st class cars for the GE and BE?
- Do I have to wait until I actually have the rail pass in hand before I can make reservations on the GE and BE?
- Is it true that we are permitted to carry our own wine & lunch on board to enjoy during our train rides?
- Will it be fairly easy for us to figure out how to get from St Moritz to Pontresina, either by bus or train?
- When we are in possession of the pass what, exactly, do we do to take a train from ZRH to Zermatt? Do we have to reserve a seat? Validate the pass? Of course our arrival time may be delayed, we will be tired and jet lagged, and our first time to Switzerland!
Thank you so much!