Discount on Swiss mobile Wifi for travelers

• Arno
    15483 posts
    25 June 2022 at 12:15:14 #827593

Hi travelers,

Unlimited high speed mobile Wifi is 10% discounted with the coupon code MSA2210. The TravelersWifi portable router offers internet for travelers in Switzerland. The Wifi can be shared by 5 people. Use the coupon code until 9 July 2022 to get your discount.

More about mobile Wifi and alternatives: https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/mobile-internet/

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    26 June 2022 at 13:10:06 #943559

Hello Arno

We are going to visit Switzerland during late August until mid September (24 days in total).

I have read about this Travel Wifi device.

I do have my own small “My pocket WiFi” device. This device also works with a simcard.

Up to 5 people can connect to this device for internet connection. It will only be my husband and I (2x adults).

My questions:

1. Can we then use this device of mine while travelling in Switzerland? (We also have small power banks to use for battery charge if needed during the day).

2. I see that there are 3 main Internet providers in Switzerland: Swisscom / Salt / Sunrise and that we can buy different options of simcards, like 5Gig / 50Gig / Unlimited packages.

3. What is the download and upload speed of these companies? I see that SwissCom has a 4G speed.

4. We only need it for Data while we are daily sightseeing and travelling around. We are going to make use of SBB Transport. We already have the timetables and connections for our different transport going to use daily. But this device and simcard is only as a back-up. So we mainly wanted to be connected to the SBB app and be able to use google maps if necessary. I do know that we can use google maps also off-line. We do not need the internet during the day for whatsapp / facebook / social media. For these we can use the free internet during the evenings at our accommodations.

5. We thus only need a Data Simcard. My pocket Wi-Fi has a code that shows on the WiFi “settings” when I connect to the internet. Will the shop where we buy such a simcard, activate then this sim that it will work on this device of mine?

We can get a simcard when arriving in Zürich. I have already found the different stores nearby our Zürich accommodation and the Main Trainstation.

So please let me know if this device of mine will do the same as the TravelWifi that you have mentioned above currently with the promotion.

Greetings

TravelElla

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2022 at 13:14:29 #943560

Hi TravelElla,

Sorry, I am not familiar with your device so I can’t say for sure how and if it will work. But it sounds like you could buy any 4G SIM card with a sufficient data plan and it should work. Even 3G should be sufficient, especially if you take advantage of offline maps.

For what we know and have tested, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/simcard.

TravelElla
    Participant
    73 posts
    26 June 2022 at 13:38:15 #943561

Hello Arno

Thank you for your prompt reply and info. We will get then the extra info on the provided link.

Greetings

TravelElla

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    26 June 2022 at 14:47:25 #943562

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS COUPON

Traveler’s wifi was amazing on my last trip to Switzerland.

I already booked it for my trip in July so I can’t use the coupon myself…it’s still a great deal!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 June 2022 at 14:50:40 #943563

Thanks for your input Helene! Happy to hear you appreciated TravelersWifi during your stay in Switzerland.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    27 June 2022 at 9:22:36 #943564

I highly recommend TravelersWiFi. I always get one when traveling in Switzerland. It has excellent speeds and pretty much the only time you loose signal is while in a tunnel on the trains. Their customer service is very responsive and pick up and drop off in the airport in Zurich is very simple. Getting ready to reserve one for my September trip. Thanks for the coupon code!!!

Liz_G
    Participant
    23 posts
    28 June 2022 at 3:13:33 #943565

I want to reserve one for my trip to Switzerland, but I am not seeing a place to enter the coupon code. Can anyone help?

Also, how reliable is the portable wi-fi router in Munich? I will be in Munich before my Switzerland trip. Should I get the global one instead of Switzerland one — pick up in Munich return in Geneva?

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 June 2022 at 5:41:20 #943566

Hi Liz,

After clicking on “Book it”, you’ll be taken to the next screen to fill out further options. There is a box under “OPTIONALS & COUPON” to enter the code: https://www.travelerswifi.com.

Yes, you need the global one if you also travel out of Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Click “Global” in the top of their website. It should work fine in Germany as well as all other listed countries.

Jasbir
    Participant
    12 posts
    28 June 2022 at 16:27:49 #943567

Why are they charging for a prepaid return envelope when I am personally returning it at the airport? I was unable to. remove it from the booking. Any idea what is that charge for?

HeleneZ
    Participant
    13 posts
    28 June 2022 at 20:45:07 #943568

I wondered about that too but just didn’t bother to contact them and ask.

I assume it’s because you can return it to the service centre (if it is open when you are there) but they probably just drop it in the mail.

That makes me think of another question:

Does anyone know if there would be a mail box you could drop it in when you are at the airport terminal waiting to board your flight?

The service centre is at the part of the terminal that is at the street entrance and you have to take the train to where you board your flight.

I would like to keep the wifi hub until I know my flight is going, just in case my flight is delayed.

Helene

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    28 June 2022 at 21:56:20 #943569

You can use the airport WiFi once you return the device. That’s what I do.

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    29 June 2022 at 0:04:24 #943570

Travelers Wifi customer service is unbelievable. Several years ago, we ordered a Swiss and a global device for our Swiss and Italy travels. When we arrived at our hotel in Venice in the evening, we discovered that the global wifi did not work. Customer service promised to deliver a replacement to our hotel in a non-touristy part of Venice by the next morning. Sure enough, a replacement arrived at our hotel via water taxi by 9:00 am the next morning. (by the way, the wifi is terrible in many Italian hotels so if you really need access, don’t count on the hotel’s.)

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2022 at 5:50:09 #943571

Hi Helene,

Yes, there are several letter boxes at the Zurich airport. There’s one near the entrance of terminal 2 but that’s not the only one. So you can drop your device there in the return envelope. It’s as good as any letter box on the street in a Swiss town.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 June 2022 at 5:55:05 #943572

Hi Jasbir,

I am not sure, but my guess is that they want to make sure that their customers always have an easy way to return the device, independent of opening hours, delays on their way back, etc. Letter boxes are available in any village in Switzerland so you can drop it 24/7.

Alignsankar
    Participant
    10 posts
    7 July 2022 at 9:45:01 #943573

Thanks for the inputs in this thread. Our group has more than people. Is it possible that we take one device and connect 5 at a time as needed.

Is the device configured for 5 connections at a time ? Or is it configured for a defined set of 5 devices ?

Any inputs on this would be helpful.

Thanks

Shankar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 13:50:38 #943574

Hi Shankar,

you can connect up to 5 mobile devices simultaneously to one Travelers Wifi.

I do not think that there is any preconfigured set.

Ildiko

Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    7 July 2022 at 14:48:16 #943575

same with me I’ve been using since sunday and it’s almost as fast as my fiber optic back home

DaniPaul
    Participant
    10 posts
    7 July 2022 at 16:26:47 #943576

We are in Switzerland now and are using Travelers Wifi. It’s great–we love having it while we are hiking in the Bernese Oberland and to use Google Maps to navigate around towns, etc. We didn’t have a discount, but it was cheaper (and likely more reliable) than getting from T-mobile. We learned about it on MySwissAlps–thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 19:00:53 #943577

Dear Ouman inokc and dear DaniPaul,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences.

I am glad that you are happy with the Travelers Wifi.

Please, feel free to share your detailed travel experiences with us after you’ve returned home – http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.
    I wish you a wonderful holiday here, in Switzerland!

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Discount on Swiss mobile Wifi for travelers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.