Do I need reservation from Domodossola to Brig?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 17:49:39 #822678

Hi,

I am travelling from Venice St Lucia to Zermatt. I have booked a ticket from Venice St Lucia to Domodossola via Milan. I have reserved the seat in train Frecciarossa 9714 and EuroCity 52. I have Swiss Travel Pass 8 days. I don’t have reservation from Domodassola to Brig (Zermatt) (As I am thinking swiss travel pass should work for this lag). I have following questions:

1. Am I allowed to travel from Domodossola to Brig in same train (EuroCity 52) without reservation. Swiss Travel Pass should work.
    2. If not, Do I need a reservation from Domodassola to Brig? Please help me where can I reserved the seat with swiss travel pass online.

Help appreciated. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    5 July 2019 at 18:19:46 #917007

Hi Vaibhav Rajp, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’re right, seat reservations for Domodossola-Brig-Zermatt are not required: myswissalps.com/train/ reservations. You can simply stay seated and show your Swiss Travel Pass from Domodossola onward: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2019 at 23:26:22 #917008

Domodossola (Universally known as ‘Domo’) is the railway border between Italy and Switzerland. The (famous) Simplon tunnel line from Domo to Brig is Swiss owned so north of Domo any Swiss railway ticket is valid for use as you are ‘in Switzerland’ (this is why Swiss holiday travel passes have always been valid to Domo) .

Arriving on EC52 from Milano and heading for Zermatt you have a choice between changing at Brig and changing at Visp.

Visp is better as the platforms are full height and it is usually just one platform across. At Brig you have to go out into the station forecourt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 3:21:30 #917009

Thanks for the information Annika.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 3:23:17 #917010

Thanks 1960man for giving station and platform level details.

• The thread ‘Do I need reservation from Domodossola to Brig?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.