Does the Bernina Express stop before Tirano?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2019 at 20:29:16 #823787

I am visiting Switzerland on the 27th December and will be staying in Lucerne. I would like to travel on the Bernina Express (BE) but I do not want to take the entire route. I understand that it is 4 hour direct trip from Chur to Tirano, Italy.

I would like to know which is the closest city or train station I can get off the BE to go to St Moritz for a few hours. Also is there a direct train I can take from St. Moritz back to Lucerne?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2019 at 6:04:52 #921928

Hello Adventurist and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please find details about the route of the Bernina Express in below link. You can take the Bernina Express from Chur to St. Moritz directly, travel via Samedan or do the same route on regular trains:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/gettingth ere

To figure out details about traveling times use the timetable below and note that the “panoramic” trains are marked with PE (panorama express).
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The timetable of the SBB is renewed every 14th of December, so you might not find connections yet for the 27th, but normally schedules on mayor routes don’t change much.

Best and happy planning.

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2019 at 23:27:24 #921929

Take care with the over hyped marketing of the Bernina (and Glacier) Express brands as I think you have been led into misunderstanding the ‘Bernina Express’ concept in this case.

It is important to understand the difference between the ‘Bernina Express’ and the ‘Bernina Railway’. The Bernina Railway is the (originally independent) railway line St Moritz – Tirano. It became part of the Rhätische Bahn* (RhB) in 1943. The Bernina Express title designates one or two trains a day operated by special coaches (with supplement payable) which include a journey on the Bernina Railway. The Bernina Railway itself does not connect to Chur

There is absolutely no need to use the Bernina Express if you are just going from Chur to St Moritz and back.

The railway line from Chur as far as Samedan/Pontresina/St Moritz is the Albula railway not the Bernina railway.

The Albula railway UNESCO listed in its own right, and the Bergün – Preda section is superb.

Just get on one of the regular IR express trains that run every hour throughout the day between Chur and St Moritz. They leave at xx.58 every hour

* – The Rhätische Bahn is the ‘national’ train operator in Canton Graubünden, with a network of metre gauge lines, separate from Swiss Federal Railways

Lastly as a reminder of the foregoing:

As I’ve said more than a few times on this site, the marketing of the ‘panoramic expresses’ is so overpowering that it confuses the proportion of visitors who would be happy to know that you can ride the same railways on any ordinary train (with just the same views and a more genuine local experience). The irony being that in most cases the Glacier Express and Bernina Express services are no faster than a local train because of the single track infrastructure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2019 at 23:32:59 #921930

“You can take the Bernina Express from Chur to St. Moritz directly,”

Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement. The Bernina Express does not serve St Moritz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 September 2019 at 0:29:54 #921931

Hello Adventurist,

I would like to know which is the closest city or train station I can get off the BE to go to St Moritz for a few hours.

Pontresina.

Also is there a direct train I can take from St. Moritz back to Lucerne?

No.

For details see replies above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2019 at 9:44:42 #921932

Hello 1960man & Co,

Sorry for mixing up the two panoramic trains Glacier Express and Bernina Express, read too quick and just “assumed” ..hmmm! SORRY and thanks for correcting and keeping an eye on me.. 😉

Steph

• The thread ‘Does the Bernina Express stop before Tirano?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.