About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
SteelyD
SteelyD
3 posts
Apr 14, 2021 - 2:33 PM

WTandBeyond—my friends and I wholeheartedly agree. Switzerland’s way of handling this isn’t worth the hassle, confusion and unpredictability. Greece isn’t the same, but it’s better than no trip.

WTandBeyond
WTandBeyond
18 posts
Apr 14, 2021 - 2:48 PM in reply to SteelyD

Yes, better than no trip and I can fly to Athens through Zurich, thereby using the $$$$ flight credit I have on Swiss Air.

Annika
Annika
6385 posts
expert &
Apr 14, 2021 - 3:07 PM in reply to Mark

Hi Mark,

I perfectly understand your confusion. The rules are very complex at the moment. We're currently trying to get confirmed what the status is and we'll update our initial post in this thread as soon as we know more. The way we understand things now, is that

• the SEM list determines from which countries (tourist) traveling is possible. If a country is on this SEM high risk list, traveling is not allowed
  • the FOPH list determines which conditions apply when entering. This is interesting only for those whose country is not on the SEM list.

So since the US are on the SEM list, tourist traveling isn't possible yet, even though they're no longer listed on the FOPH list.

We hope that there will soon be one clear overview, indicating per country if and how tourists can visit Switzerland. We certainly expect things to get less complicated in the next few months (hopefully even weeks).

Last modified on Apr 14, 2021 - 3:16 PM by Annika
Annika
Annika
6385 posts
expert &
Apr 14, 2021 - 3:14 PM in reply to WTandBeyond

Hi WTandBeyond and SteelyD,

I understand your hesitance and confusion. The two lists currently used by the Swiss government are quite hard to interpret, and we too would love a clear overview per country indicating the options. We certainly expect Switzerland to open its borders and to simplify travel measures as soon as they can. But there's no fixed date for this yet, and of course this is difficult for anyone who's trying to plan their holidays. We're doing our best to provide a correct overview of all measures and we'll keep updating this thread with each relevant development - hopefully soon with promising news :-).

LTommy
LTommy
10 posts
Apr 14, 2021 - 4:07 PM

Thank you for the extremely clear indication that the US are not allowed just yet. That is where we are coming from and I do hope that it clears up for all. We have reservations on hold and are just waiting. Again thank you for being upfront and making things explicitly clear.

Kako
Kako
1 post
Apr 19, 2021 - 5:52 PM

Hi,

I am travelling next week by car from the Netherlands to Switzerland through Germany. So I Will need PCR and 10 data quarantaine.

but What about travelling back from switzerland through germany. What do I need?

Can someone give advice? Because I can’t find the info.

much appreciated

Anna
Anna
1055 posts
top member &
Apr 19, 2021 - 7:39 PM in reply to Kako

Hi Kako,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

As you will be travelling through Germany, the following links may be useful. But I recommend to always check with the German authorities for clarification, before you travel, because these rules may change at short notice.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Apr 19, 2021 - 7:48 PM by Anna
Annika
Annika
6385 posts
expert &
Apr 21, 2021 - 8:09 AM in reply to Kako

Hi Kako! In addition to Anna's tips: you can find information about Dutch travel regulations and restrictions at www.myswissalps.com/nl/forum/t/het-coronavirus-en-uw-reis-naar-zwitserland. I hope that helps.

Tmburd
Tmburd
1 post
Apr 21, 2021 - 2:52 PM

My wife and I attended a webinar hosted by Railbookers on trips into Switzerland. During the session, the host announces, as of yesterday, the Swiss government is allowing US citizens entry into the country. He did not go into details regarding restrictions or qualifications, but as per the presentation, access is allowed. Hope this helps.

Ildiko
Ildiko
1088 posts
top member &
Apr 22, 2021 - 9:47 AM in reply to Tmburd

Hi Tmburd and welcome to MySwissAlps,

thank you for your post.

The rules are very complex and there are 2 lists - the FOPH and the SEM lists.

From our understanding, although the USA is not on the FOPH list, according to the SEM list it is still not allowed to travel from the USA to Switzerland. We'll update our initial post in this thread as soon as anything.

We hope that the rules will be clearer soon.

Take care,

Ildiko

Last modified on Apr 22, 2021 - 10:36 AM by Arno
WTandBeyond
WTandBeyond
18 posts
May 11, 2021 - 2:51 PM in reply to Ildiko

Still no words/hints/rumors of when Switzerland might allow US tourists, or vaccinated tourists, in? Other European countries are making public announcements (for example France is opening June 9th) but Switzerland is remaining very silent. It's frustrating. Do I just go ahead and cancel my trip to Switzerland and go to Greece or Italy or France instead?

Anna
Anna
1055 posts
top member &
May 11, 2021 - 7:52 PM in reply to WTandBeyond

Hi WTandBeyond,

The Federal Health Office is expected to make the next announcement on 26 May regarding further easing of restrictions. With the vaccination roll-out picking up pace and the introduction of a Covid Digital Certificate (for those vaccinated) by June, there is hope that international travel may be allowed again by summer.

We'll update this thread as soon as we get some news. Let's hope you don't have to cancel your trip. Thanks for sticking with us.

Best regards,

Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021