Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 May 2021 at 11:39:47 #932887

“Let us know if there’s anything else we can help you out with!”

I would guess its still a little premature to ask for packing assistance……have a great day!

Thanks.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 May 2021 at 13:11:30 #932888

Hi Richard123,

The uncertainty is really frustrating even for us here in Switzerland. We can’t wait until we are able to travel abroad again. At the same time we understand this is a complicated situation, if the government opens the borders to international travel too soon, there is a risk that infection could rise again with new virus variants that could jeopardise the current vaccination roll-out. Based on a three-phase model announced by the government in April, the lifting of measures (including travel restrictions for international travellers) will only be possible if we can get 70% of the population vaccinated and the infection rates remain under control.

According to news reports, France (as well as few other European countries) plans to reopen its borders to non-European tourists (including from the USA) by June 9th. However this will only be possible if 1) the infection rates remain low and b) travel will only be allowed with a ‘health passport’. Switzerland also plans to introduce a similar ‘health passport’ (according to news report, it should be available in June). So I think Switzerland is working on a similar timeline as the EU without committing to specific dates.

So yes, everything is still pretty much up in the air but it seems like any kind of international travel now will require some kind of vaccination proof before you are allowed to travel.

In any case, follow this thread for the latest updates! 🙂

Best regards,

Anna

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 May 2021 at 15:46:56 #932889

I know this forum is not the discussion point for Switzerlands Covid response…However, ( and I didn’t read this in the announcement of the three phase response ) “the lifting of measures (including travel restrictions for international travellers) will only be possible if we can get 70% ” Looking at how the US response and surveying other countries responses….70% looks to be very wishful number..In the US, yearly flu shots are only at a 50% level. US is now attempting to provide incentives to get further vaccinations…seems staying alive was not good enough.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 May 2021 at 20:30:16 #932890

Hi Richard123,

Yes, 70% is probably not achievable. The introduction of a health passport may encourage people to get vaccinated. Thanks for sharing your points. I hope all of us will be able to travel as per normal again soon.

Regards,

Anna

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    15 May 2021 at 18:54:52 #932891

Hi,

regarding travelers from the US, you say: “entry only allowed for US and Swiss citizens with residence in Switzerland.”

That is not exactly right: Swiss citizens (who live in the US i.e.) can enter the country at any time, they do not need to have a residence in Switzerland. This rule applies to US citizens.

Thanks for all your work and the information you share!

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 May 2021 at 19:21:29 #932892

Hi SwissMiss72,

Yes, Swiss citizens and those with Swiss resident permits are allowed entry into Switzerland at any time, but may be required to quarantine depending on your place of origin. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    16 May 2021 at 6:28:33 #932893

Thank you SwissMiss72 :-)! We’ve adjusted our phrasing in the initial post of this thread.

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    23 May 2021 at 16:34:59 #932894

Is there an update to US citizens traveling to Switzerland? Thanks

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    24 May 2021 at 7:57:51 #932895

Hello,

Regarding travelers from the US, you say: “entry only allowed for US and Swiss citizens with residence in Switzerland.” One can also enter with a travel authorization from the Swiss Embassy. My daughters and I have Swiss citizenship through my dad and because my husband, who is not Swiss, is a registered spouse, we were able to receive a Swiss Travel Authorization paper so that he may join us in July.

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 May 2021 at 8:05:38 #932896

Hi Mrodas703,

Thank you for sharing this information.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 May 2021 at 14:20:06 #932897

Thanks for letting us know Mrodas703! Happy to hear you’ll all be able to travel to Switzerland next July! What are your plans?

As for the text you quoted: we recently changed our phrasing into: “entry only allowed for Swiss citizens and for US citizens with residence in Switzerland”, which is slightly different. That doesn’t include your information about the travel authorization paper though, so we’ve added a general remark about that in our explanation of “List 1”.

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    25 May 2021 at 21:10:21 #932898

Great idea!

We’re going to Lausanne (to visit family), Lucerne, hiking in Wengen, Zermatt (for 1August), Brig for the thermals, Kandersteg (because I hiked there once with my dad and will never forget finding the beautiful lake after 4 days in the mtns!), and back to Lausanne (Bellerive pools on Leman is my favorite, Yvoire if we can, Chillon, Levaux etc). Three weeks total. Only unsure plans is the 10 hr layover in Zürich on our way to Geneva. I think we may go downtown and then return 4 hrs early to stay in the airport hotel lounge chairs since jet lag gets me every time!

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 May 2021 at 7:01:28 #932899

Hi Jo! Unfortunately there’s no update yet. I expect news about further relaxations in Switzerland later this day or tomorrow morning, but we don’t know if those will include any changes for US citizens or other travelers from abroad. We’ll make sure to update our first post in this thread, so if you keep an eye on that, you’ll know about the developments as soon as we do. Fingers crossed!

WTandBeyond
    Participant
    31 posts
    26 May 2021 at 15:32:26 #932900

Looks like the update doesn’t make any mention or changes for border openings. I must admit that I am very surprised that Switzerland hasn’t updated their SEM high risk list since February and haven’t made any announcements at all in regard to when they will allow vaccinated tourists in. Oh well, I guess Greece will get my tourism dollars, not Switzerland, as I can’t delay making alternative plans any longer. Super disappointing.

Jo
    Participant
    14 posts
    26 May 2021 at 16:05:04 #932901

Thanks so much for your response

I’ll keep watching 🤞

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    26 May 2021 at 18:20:39 #932902

I have to say I’m surprised by today’s update. Surprised and a little puzzled. When the rest of Europe is preparing to open to vaccinated folks from the US, it seems Switzerland will not. Perhaps there will be another update shortly – I will try to be patient.

The issue that puzzles me is the statement qualifying the length of time you can have been vaccinated. I had my first dose the 20th of January and the second the 10th of February. By the most generous counting – two weeks after my second dose and immunity – IF my country was allowed through the border, I still would not be able to visit anytime after the 10th of August. Doesn’t work well for my month-long stay in September, does it? Booster shots aren’t even available yet. What is a person supposed to do?

I hope the authorities reconsider this part of their ruling. I have about 45 days before I will have to make changes.

WTandBeyond
    Participant
    31 posts
    26 May 2021 at 18:25:55 #932903

The first page of this forum states that they don’t know whether or not the no quarantine/no testing etc applies for entry for all, or just entry for those not on the SEM high risk list. Which, if it’s the latter, doesn’t actually really change anything from last week. I remain flummoxed that the FOPH keeps updating it’s list and making changes but the SEM hasn’t changed now in over three months. Which makes me wonder, is the SEM list actually relevant or is that bad info? Anyway, I have to make a decision within the next 48 hours and I’m not sure who to contact to get accurate information. The US embassy in Switzerland? The Swiss embassy in the US? I tried the latter, but they’re not answering their phones. Why does Switzerland have to be so confusing, when every other country’s requirements are crystal clear.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2021 at 19:24:39 #932904

Hi WTandBeyond,

the first post in this thread was modified today (May 26) at 3:35 PM, Annika and Arno always update it ASAP. Regarding the US, entry only allowed for Swiss citizens and US citizens with residence in Switzerland.

You can find the SEM list here: http://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-third-countries.html.

I know it is very confusing if you would like to double-check it: ch.usembassy.gov/covid-19-info/ This page also says that US citizens are not permitted to enter Switzerland, “only in cases of special necessity” (see above).

I am very sorry for the bad news, I understand your disappointment.

Regards,
    Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2021 at 19:32:10 #932905

Hi Tourgypsy,
    I am sorry to read that.
    Right, from May 31, there will be no more quarantine requirement for travellers who are fully vaccinated – no longer than 6 months ago with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency or the Swiss authorities. Although at this point is not sure that this rule is about all the countries or just those, who are not mentioned as a ‘high-risk country’.
    I hope that in a few weeks (or even faster) we will have more information, also about the revaccinations (after 6 months).
    Take care,
    Ildiko

WTandBeyond
    Participant
    31 posts
    26 May 2021 at 19:49:41 #932906

Ildiko, the first post on the thread says this:

We don’t know yet if this applies to travelers from all countries, or only to travelers from countries that are not mentioned as a ‘high-risk country’ on list 1 (see below). We’ll update our information as soon as we know more.

Which suggests there is still confusion about today’s update, whether it applies to all, or just to countries not currently on the SEM high risk list. My confusion stems from the fact that all of the information coming out of Switzerland seems to be coming from the FOPH, yet the SEM is remaining silent. There seems to be a large disconnect there. Why is the FOPH talking about changing travel guidance if it is all effectively moot if SEM is seemingly determined to not make any changes? (No update since February from SEM seems very strange, given how significantly the situation has changed in three months.)

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.