Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 July 2021 at 12:01:16 #933047

Hello Memok,

According to the current rules, citizens of Saudi Arabia are allowed to enter Switzerland if they can show official proof of full vaccination, or a negative PCR test, or official proof of being cured from COVID-19. So if you can provide proof of your recent recovery, that should be enough to enter Switzerland by train from France. If you don’t have this, you should provide a recent negative PRC test result. Do check entry rules for France as well, and also consult the rules of your home country to see if you can easily return without additional measures.

The current rules are explained in our first post at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. From the bottom of this post, you can download a country list showing the current status of rules per country.

I hope you didn’t suffer from COVID too much and that you feel much better now!

Ohman_91
    Participant
    64 posts
    11 July 2021 at 18:43:22 #933048

Is it correct that “only” a negative rapid antigen test is needed at the moment for someone from Sweden? That is max. 48 hours old.

When I checked a few weeks ago, only a negative PCR test was valid. Has it been changed? 🙂

*Edit: And does it have to be a specific/certain type of brand on the test?

Anna
    6274 posts
    12 July 2021 at 7:54:33 #933049

Hi Ohman 91,

If you are not vaccinated, in order to be allowed entry into Switzerland you need to present a negative PCR test (not older than 72 hours) OR a negative rapid antigen test (not older than 48 hours) before boarding. You will also be required to fill in an entry form before your arrival. You can find all the details and important links in the fit post of this thread.

Regards,

Anna

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    12 July 2021 at 8:05:43 #933050

Just a quick update. I completed the Ellume test yesterday for our scheduled return to the US tomorrow. Received “Negative” test result within 15 minutes and then was able to get a PDF version of results (no QR) printed at hotel. Will let you know how things go at Zürich airport tomorrow. Other than the annoyance of having to wear masks on transportation and indoors in shops, etc it has been an amazingly wonderful trip. And no crowds in the places normally full of people was also nice. A very welcomed escape from the year of Covid lockdown. Highly Recommend!!!

Anna
    6274 posts
    12 July 2021 at 8:20:18 #933051

Thanks for the update!

It’s always helpful to get real-time feedback from travellers. I hope everything goes smoothly for you at Zurich airport.

Regards,

Anna

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    12 July 2021 at 11:38:15 #933052

I’m so, so happy that the test worked well for you! (I was keeping you in my thoughts.)

I look forward to hearing how the airport portion went.

And thanks for the travel review….we all certainly deserve a good “escape” this year! 🙂

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    12 July 2021 at 11:44:00 #933053

Thanks. So far next phase is not been very cooperative. Trying to complete online check in and keeps kicking me out. So not sure if that is due to needing to give them proof of negative test at the airport before they can issue a boarding pass or something else 🙁

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    12 July 2021 at 12:15:07 #933054

I would bet that is the reason.

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    12 July 2021 at 13:14:30 #933055

Thanks for the update! We will be traveling to Switzerland soon, and I have been wondering whether to buy a kit here, or make an appointment in Switzerland to get tested before flying back. I just wish the US would become more reasonable and allow vaccinated travelers in without testing!

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    12 July 2021 at 18:28:20 #933056

Exactly, I agree 100%, I wish US would revisit this policy. Check with your health insurance about the test because mine will only reimburse for the in-person test in Switzerland, not the at-home test.

Memok
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 July 2021 at 11:10:08 #933057

Hello Annika

Thank you for help and support and my health asking

Yes I’m ok now and fully recovered 👍🏻

I booked the flight to. Paris on 2/08 and i will stay there 3 nights

And booked train to Interlaken from paris on 5/08

ALso i booked hotels in Interlaken and Grindelwald and train from Grindelwald to geneve for one night before backto Saudi Arabia on 18/08

Already paid everything and Vaccine certificate and recovery proves ready inwill do PCR test as extra option before leaving Saidi Arabia

Im very excited to be in the heaven (Switzerland) plz pray for me 💞to complete all this trip to the fullest 😊

i will updating you here later when i reach Switzerland 💓

Thank you for support

And wish good health for all

Anna
    6274 posts
    13 July 2021 at 11:48:03 #933058

Hi Memok,

Thanks for your update.

Safe flight and have a fantastic trip.

Regards,

Anna

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    17 July 2021 at 3:05:31 #933059

I know the CDC vaccination card is good for flights from the USA to Switzerland (we’re flying United) but does anyone know if the US CDC card is needed/effective for domestic flights within Switzerland (Zürich to Geneva) or is a negative Covid test required if a EU compatible vaccination card can’t be displayed within Switzerland? We fly Swiss from Zürich to Geneva on Monday and I’ve tried calling every number I can find for Swiss Airlines (I even had United reps try the numbers since they issued my ticket) but none of the numbers worked for any of us, it ultimately disconnects us, and when I try the Swiss airlines chat it thinks I’m trying to change my itinerary so I haven’t been able to ask if the CDC vaccination card is sufficient for that second leg of my trip. Therefore to be safe my whole family is now getting the Covid test tomorrow afternoon in Washington… ugh.

Anna
    6274 posts
    17 July 2021 at 5:38:14 #933060

Hi Xpresso,

If the CDC vaccination card is valid for your flight into Switzerland, it will also be acceptable for use on Swiss domestic flights.

You can check the requirements here: swiss.travel-regulations.com/?language=en

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 July 2021 at 5:45:22 #933061

Hi Xpresso,

I don’t expect an issue either. In general I can say that it’s much better to take a train from Zurich airport to the final destination. That would get you a quick and easy scenic ride directly to the city center of Geneva. There’s no need for domestic flights within Switzerland, but I know that some airlines still offer this. The only requirement left for the trains is to wear a face mask. Anyway, in the unlikely event that there’s an issue, simply take the train 🙂

Enjoy your trip!

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    17 July 2021 at 10:17:57 #933062

Yes we wanted the flight travel to end in Zürich, visit there and then take the train to Geneva at our convenience but can you believe it would’ve cost my family $800 MORE to get off in Zürich rather than to continue with the flight to Geneva! We got the tickets for very cheap (Washington to Geneva roundtrip $400 each) but it would have been $200 more each person if we stopped the flight travel in Zürich, so I didn’t argue it and on we go to Geneva later that day by plane.

Ok I guess we don’t need to get the Covid test today than, thanks!

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    17 July 2021 at 16:20:27 #933063

WE ar eplanning on driving from Zurich Airport to Colmar, Fr. Par tof the drive might be through a german highway. We are fully vaccinated and have our vaccination cards. Will we have any problem driving to Colmar with part of the route being on a german highway? Als odo they stop you at each border and check your vaccine card? We will then be driving back from Colmar, Fr to Zermatt/ Will we be stopped at the border and need to have our vaccine cards looked at? Do we need a PCR test to go to Switzerland if we are fully vaccinated within the last 12 months with Pfizer?

Anna
    6274 posts
    17 July 2021 at 16:48:42 #933064

Hi Rgoppelt,

I don’t think you will have any problems driving from France to Switzerland via Germany, as long as you have your vaccination cards and valid travel documents with you. The checks at the border are usually random.

Regards,

Anna

Ohman_91
    Participant
    64 posts
    19 July 2021 at 13:35:15 #933065

Do you think there is any risk that also Switzerland will introduce the same kind of restrictions/requirements as for example Cyprus, when it comes to providing a negative test or a covid passport even just for going to the supermarkets?

I soooo want to go in August (6th of August), but I only have one shot of the vaccine so I am not fully vaccinated in case anything like that would happen. And taking a test just for shopping food seems so strange…

So I really don’t know if I should wait and re-book my flight to September instead, when I am fully vaccinated, or if I should go in August as initially planned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2021 at 15:50:44 #933066

Washington to Geneva for $400 RT??? Where’d you get that deal?

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.