Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Igor_MK
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 September 2021 at 19:46:45 #933287

Hi

the swiss covid certificate one is valid for all cantons or I have to get a new one for all cantons where I will stay ??

Regards,

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    13 September 2021 at 19:52:49 #933288

Our quick update:…we applied Friday for certificate in wengen..still waiting.. we are now in Montreux… suisse majestic took our US QrCode and so did the A few others… most everyone is rating hanging outside so no worries… we will see about Zermatt tomorrow, but glacier express has already let us know we MUST have certificate for our Friday trip… NOTE… it seems everyone here is confused and it just depends what person / manager is on duty to interpret what is ok and what is not.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 September 2021 at 5:39:40 #933289

Hi Igor MK,

The Swiss Covid certificate is valid nationwide (in all Swiss cantons). It is also compatible with the EU Digital certificate and recognised in neighbouring countries (i.e Italy, France, Germany, Austria).

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 September 2021 at 7:07:50 #933290

Thanks for your update Mwrights1984! Yes, I can imagine it’s still a bit confusing as the new rules had to be set up very quickly. I hope you’ll get your certificate in time in Wengen. Note that if it doesn’t work, a free negative test should get you the certificate as well. Best of luck and enjoy your time in Switzerland and your Glacier Express journey! We’d love to hear how it all worked out for you.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 September 2021 at 7:10:08 #933291

Happy to hear you got your certificate Richard123! At the moment the process seems to work for some cantons but not for others yet. It’s work in progress and I hope application will soon be a clear procedure for all travelers. Enjoy your trip!

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 September 2021 at 7:12:24 #933292

Thanks for sharing your experiences and the info sent by your Zermatt hotel, Rgoppelt! That’s all very useful. I hope you’ll have a wonderful trip :-)!

For other travelers reading this: tests performed in regular test centers should be free until September 30.

Annika
    7124 posts
    14 September 2021 at 7:14:55 #933293

@GoGiantsFan, @Tourgypsy and @Newtraveler: I hope you’ll all get your certificates in time. But if that doesn’t work through the new (cantonal) application process yet, know that a free test should get you the certificate too. A link to test locations can be found in the 1st post of this thread. Good luck and a wonderful stay in Switzerland to all of you!

TonyS
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 September 2021 at 14:49:06 #933294

Just sharing my experience. My wife and I applied for the COVID certificate on the afternoon of Friday Sep 10. I went to the Valais Canton website (Kanton Wallis) using the following link: certificat-vs.ch/obtenir-un-certificat/. I initially used google translate to help but once you select the obtain the certificate for vaccinated persons option it takes you to another page where there is an option in the upper left hand corner that says English. I used the address for the hotel that I am staying at in Zermatt and uploaded a scanned image of my CDC vaccination card, a screenshot of the webpage confirming I got my vaccine, and a scanned image of my passport. I did download the COVID certificate app and generated the code to have the certificate transferred, so I entered that too. Rinse and repeat for my wife.

Woke up this morning and had a message saying certificates transferred, opened the app and had both certificates. So 96 nervous hours later we got them! I am assuming that if they are working business hours, then they received my application yesterday and we got the certificates in 24 hrs. But as I said that is my assumption. Oh, one more thing, our certificates say they are valid for one year from the time we had our last dose, so ours expire in April, 2022.

Now the bad news is that my river cruise canceled our trip yesterday, so now we are deciding if we are still doing the Swiss trip or not…

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:01:40 #933295

Our Switzerland vacation has begun. We left Columbus Ohio on Monday the 13th at 2:00. We had gotten to the airport early. Agent asked if we had a travel visa for Switzerland. I said no and one wasn’t required. She was on the phone for over 15 minutes to conclude the Delta systems were not up to date. We transferred to an amsterdam flight in Detroit. The only time the COVID vaccination card was looked at was the initial checkin. In Amsterdam we had to go through passport control to get to our Zürich flight. We approached the agent with passport in hand thinking they would ask for our Switzerland entry form with the QR code. They asked for proof of vaccination. Gave them our COVID vaccination cards. She looked them over and asked the agent next to her “are these legal”. They passed them. Flew on to Zürich. We never were asked about our entry forms. We are staying in a large hotel in Brennan. Reception asked to scan our COVID certificates in our Swiss app. We have been in and out multiple doors and have not been challenged. So COVID certificate are still not consistent,

DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:03:39 #933296

We are in Wengen and having trouble finding out about the free tests. The Tourist Office in Interlaken didn’t know anything about free tests when we went by there today and inquired. We are also confused as to which kind of test we need to transit through the UK back to the USA. It seems like this free antigen test may work if we can figure out where to get it.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:27:31 #933297

Hi. I left Murren today and am heading home to the US through the UK tomorrow. The test you will need for the UK is the same one you need for the US. But I don’t know if you can find it for free. I couldn’t find a place so decided to just get it at the airport. They provided the Covid Certificate (which got me into the restaurant this evening) as well as the specific document that is needed for check-in tomorrow. The two documents cost me $74, but I preferred the convenience of not having to search for a place and taking a chance on what they provided.

DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:36:52 #933298

@tourgypsy awesome! How long did it take to get your results? Did you have an appointment for the test? Which airport? And was the price $74 plus the test? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:41:10 #933299

Got mine at Zurich airport. They have a number of testing centers, but I made an appointment at the Radisson Blu (as that’s where I’m staying tonight). The testing center is on the 8th floor – and you can make the appointment online. (Note: I booked the time for 17:00, but I got here early and they had no problem with taking me at 15:30.) They said the results would be available in 25 minutes – but it only took 15. When they sent the email I went back and picked up the hard copies. It’s $59 for the test and the email confirmation. Another $15 for the hard copy – which I like to have.

DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:55:42 #933300

@tourgypsy thank you so much! We are flying out of Zurich, too. And will likely stay at Radisson Blu since our flight leaves at 7am! Would you mind sharing a link to the testing site reservations? It’s so nice to hear from someone who has just been through what we are so apprehensive about.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    14 September 2021 at 16:59:37 #933301

zrh.viselio.com. Good luck.

DorothySwitz
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 September 2021 at 17:07:53 #933302

Thanks! One last question: how far in advance did you book your test?

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    14 September 2021 at 17:09:18 #933303

I think I booked it Saturday for testing today.

TonyS
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 September 2021 at 17:13:23 #933304

The Glacier Express website referred me to this page with useful testing sites links: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/planning/about-switzerland/covid-pcr-test/

Hope it helps.

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 September 2021 at 17:32:06 #933305

Hi TonyS,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to know that the Canton Valais link works and that you’ve finally got your Covid certificates after all that effort. Sorry to hear your river cruise got cancelled though but hopefully you have Plan B? 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6382 posts
    14 September 2021 at 17:35:50 #933306

Hi Tourgypsy,

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is certainly useful information. Have a safe trip home!

Regards,

Anna

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.