Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    7 January 2022 at 4:34:08 #933607

Hi Ildiko,

Thank you for the information. Appreciate it!

Samuel

Rachbryn8
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 January 2022 at 11:12:02 #933608

Hi! I just wanted some clarification! I thought I read in recent updates form Swiss government that you could do a 24 hour antigen test to come into Switzerland. In this post you say you need a PCR to board a flight to Switzerland but you can show an antigen when you land? Can I take an antigen test before the day of my flight? Or do I need a PCR?

Anna
    6362 posts
    18 January 2022 at 13:07:16 #933609

Hi Rachbryn8,

Just checked the latest travel requirements on the FPOH website. You are right, to board a flight to Switzerland you either need to present a negative PCR test (performed in the last 72 hours) or a negative rapid antigen test taken within the last 24 hours.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 January 2022 at 7:53:11 #933610

Dear travelers,

From Saturday 22 January, entry rules for Switzerland will be relaxed:

• A test for travelers who are vaccinated and/or recovered is no longer required upon entry.
    • A test for travelers who are not vaccinated/recovered is still required upon entry, but a 2nd test performed between day 4 to 7 of your stay is no longer required.
    • Only passengers arriving by plane or long-distance bus have to fill out the passenger locator form.

The information in our first post has been adjusted. Once we know more details, we’ll provide further updates.

Happy planning :-)!

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    20 January 2022 at 21:06:01 #933611

With the new changes as they are now I will have to cancel my trip to Switzerland in June because I will not meet the entry requirements. My second shot from Pfizer was on March 10, 2021 and my booster was on December 9, 2021. That puts me past 270 days for the first two shots and will reach the 270 days on the booster while on the trip. Is anyone else wrestling with this issue? Am I reading it correctly? Of course, June is a few months away and things could change in my favor. I hope so. I am so looking forward to visiting Switzerland.

I appreciate all the information I have gained from all of you. Thank you.

Link

SamIam
    Participant
    96 posts
    20 January 2022 at 21:20:56 #933612

This is so helpful ! We are entering Switzerland in July via Domodossola ( I) and will be in Bernese Oberland for the duration of our trip. We will obtain a Swiss COVID Certificate from the Canton of Bern 2 weeks before . We will fill out the Passenger Locator Form before entry. We have a Swiss Pass for 8 days . We will present this in Domodossola ( I ) and they will also validate our Swiss Rail Pass then? Thanks in advance for the input!

Angelacorona
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 January 2022 at 22:51:11 #933613

We enjoyed our trip to Zurich, Geneva, and Zermatt last Dec 1-16 2021. It was a great vacation. My question is I am planning to go back to Zurich

for a couple of days in Feb 4-16, 2022 and then travel by train to Munich and stay in Germany for most of our vacation and stay in Zurich a couple of days before we go back home to San Francisco USA. Can I use my swiss covid certificate in Munich or I should get an EU covid certificate and how? Is Switzerland accepting tourist and visitors right now??. Everything is confusing now and for me this is the best place to learn latest development of what was going on. Thank you and hope we can travel again.

Sincerely,

Angela

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2022 at 1:33:38 #933614

Yes, I live in London and had been thinking about what I might do this summer, assuming the virus in general recedes as is happening now in the UK. I hadn’t thought about the 270 days. When I visited in October 2021 I had had two jabs, one in March 2021 and one in May 2021. I had a third (booster) in December 2021 but at present there is no official statement as to what happens next, so I too will eventually go over the 270 day limit from December 2021.

However BE WARNED, my wife tested positive last Saturday for Covid despite having had 3 Covid jabs and a flu jab in 2021, and has been suffering now for around 7 days with ‘bad cold’ like symptoms. She has been feeling pretty rough despite being ‘well protected’

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    21 January 2022 at 2:57:40 #933615

Thank you for your reply!

After I posted I realized that I must have flunked counting class way back in the day (LOL). My first two jabs will be over the 270 day mark but if they count the booster as my last jab I will be within the 270 days…safe…covered as far as the entry requirements are concerned. I am so hoping that I don’t have to cancel the trip. I am keenly aware that even with all the shots it isn’t a guarantee I won’t develop the disease or test negative and that is a concern. I am glad my trip isn’t until June. More time for me to dwell on all the ifs and buts.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Both of you take care!

Thanks,

Link

Anna
    6362 posts
    21 January 2022 at 8:34:23 #933616

Hi Samlam,

Entry into Switzerland should be smooth if you are fully vaccinated. You can use the Swiss Travel Pass as soon as you arrive in Switzerland. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse

Have a safe trip.

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6362 posts
    21 January 2022 at 8:46:49 #933617

Hi Angela,

If you’re fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines authorised and recognised by EMA (eg. Moderna, Pfizer), the Swiss Covid certificate issued to you will also be valid for use in Germany (and other EU countries).

Regards,

Anna

Angelacorona
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 January 2022 at 10:15:23 #933618

Thank you Anna. And one of my concern too is If Switzerland is open for tourist and visitors now? My vacation scheduled Feb 4-21 2022.

Sincerely,

Angela

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2022 at 10:40:16 #933619

Hi Link,

As far as I know it’s your last vaccination that counts for the 270-day period of validity. So you should be fine. You can find this statement here: http://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/covid-zertifikat/covid-zertifikat-erhalt-gueltigkeit.html. The Swiss Federal Office of Public Health writes “365 days from when the last vaccine dose was administered
    (with the exception of the Janssen vaccine: period of validity commences on the 22nd day after the vaccine dose is administered)”. (The 365-day period is still mentioned there, but I expect this will soon be changed into 270.)

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2022 at 10:45:50 #933620

Hi Angela! No problem, Switzerland is open for tourists. Please find all details about entry rules and the COVID-certificate here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 January 2022 at 10:49:17 #933621

Hi 1960, I’m sorry to hear that your wife caught COVID. I hope she feels better soon, and that you won’t get infected yourself. Best wishes to the both of you.

SamIam
    Participant
    96 posts
    21 January 2022 at 12:20:41 #933622

Thank you so much! You guys are so awesome!

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    21 January 2022 at 12:28:34 #933623

Thanks for the update. I am however a bit confused in regards to how the third booster jab figures into this. I got the booster in November 2021. I know nobody can predict ahead but would that mean I would need another (4th) jab if I travel to Switzerland in late 2022?

Rachbryn8
    Participant
    7 posts
    21 January 2022 at 13:13:46 #933624

Hi! I received all 3 of my vaccines in Israel (not part of the EU), and when I applied for a Swiss covid certificate I was denied because with said the Israeli covid certificate was accepted. But it’s not a apart of the EU and I know someone who said they had received a Swiss covid pass because they were vaccinated in Israel. I was just wondering if it’s correct that I will be fine? I do not want to pay another 30 to be rejected but want to make sure my pass will be accepted as israel is not in the EU! I assume the email I received is correct but was just curious if anyone else vaccinated in Israel had the same experience or if you know about other covid certificates being accepted!

thanks

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    21 January 2022 at 13:42:38 #933625

Hi All

Like lovmystang I think the timing of the booster shot may soon become a serious issue. I am hoping to plan a Swiss trip for September of this year however I received my booster shot in August 2021. In September it will be 13 months after the booster (3rd shot of Moderna). Apparently recent Israeli studies have shown a 4th shot gives no significant benefit to those who have had 3 shots so it is unlikely another booster will be approved in the US as a 4th dose at this time.

I am unsure if I can proceed with my planning for a September trip especially purchasing expensive plane tickets that likely would not be refundable.

I am curious to know the moderators thoughts on this potential issue and what advice they might have.

Mark

Fballguy
    Participant
    39 posts
    21 January 2022 at 13:43:39 #933626

That’s great news. Had they announced this a month earlier, it would’ve saved me $700 in testing. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 941 through 960 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.