Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Lastlook
    Participant
    183 posts
    7 July 2022 at 12:27:15 #933727

We just returned from 15 days in Switzerland, including crossing the border into France (Chamonix), and Italy a couple of times while on the Bernina Express (had lunch in Tirano, before we continued back into Switzerland.) Our passports were not checked when crossing the borders on the trains/busses, but were required a few times when presenting our Swiss Travel Passes on the Swiss rail network. We had our Covid vaccination cards but they were not ever required either. People of all nationalities seemed to be traveling freely and very few wore masks. We used masks when in close quarters (such a cable cars and other mountain lifts) as there were a fair number of people coughing everywhere we went. We kept our masks in a handy pocket to pop on when we were in crowded areas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 13:14:27 #933728

Hi Lastlook,

thank you for sharing your experiences with us.
    My experience is the same, plus I think more and more people start to use their masks in closed places. At the moment masks are not obligatory, but everybody can use them if they feel more comfortable/safer.

Take care,
    Ildiko

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2022 at 21:20:53 #933729

I think it a very good idea to pop on masks when on public transport in Switzerland . And anywhere else. The Omicron variant seems to be everywhere these days and it is very very contagious.

Husband and I are now on our 27th visit to Switzerland, almost always with a Wengen base. As we do again this time.

We (Americans) are both double vaccinated and double boosted (all Moderna). Older (73 and 65) but very fit — heck, we own a personal training gym! I chose to wear a mask on public transport getting to Wengen and after arrival on our various outings. Especially the gondola journeys that are usually always shoulder to shoulder. Husband chose not to do so. He fell ill with COVID three days after our arrival. I followed today, on fourth day.

I am not calling out Switzerland for our current situation. Not at all. This Omicron variant is everywhere. But the up close and personal nature of mountain transport here warrants extra precautions, IMO.

It is wonderful and freeing not to wear a mask. But we have learned the hard way that this COVID stuff is not over yet. As much as we all want it to be.

We are spending our 27th time in Wengen sick and in our apartment. We count our blessings that we are in a stunning and spacious two bed/two bath apartment (thank you Rachel and Mandi at Alpine Holiday Services) to ride it out. But not able to do our normal intrepid Bernese Oberland hikes. Very very disappointing.

Be well and safe travels everyone

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2022 at 6:59:28 #933730

I’m sorry to hear that Kim! I hope you both recover quickly and hopefully have some real vacation days left.

Best wishes!

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    8 July 2022 at 8:57:47 #933731

Hi Kim11

I am on my long awaited Switzerland holiday (8th time in Switzerland) and have been hyper vigilant around wearing a mask in crowded areas, at present I am in Montreux attending the jazz festival and I have only seen a handful of people wearing masks as well. I suspect that for locals if you get sick you can just stay at home and recover, however for holidaymakers our only option is to confine ourselves to our accommodation which is disappointing when you come to a country with amazing scenery and all you want to do is go outside and explore, however that is the risk we all take when travelling anywhere right now.

I am in Switzerland for another 3 weeks so I am cutting back on some planned activities where practical but it is of course no guarantee that I won’t contract COVID (I am from Australia, double vaccinated with 1 booster, which for my age group is all that is allowed, however by the time I am back in Australia a 2nd booster shot will be available).

For everyone who is travelling right now please do take care, COVID does not discriminate so no matter how old, young or fit you are you are not immune to this disease!!!

My Travels

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 July 2022 at 9:18:48 #933732

I’m very sorry for you and your husband Kim. That’s such a disappointment. You’re right in stating that corona isn’t over yet, and that it’s wise to remain cautious.

I hope you’ll both recover quickly and still get to enjoy the Jungfrau region you love so much. How long will your stay in Wengen last? Any chance you’ll have a good amount of days left after recovery?

Best wishes,

Annika

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 July 2022 at 9:20:23 #933733

Thanks for your input and warnings, My Travels. I hope you’ll enjoy your long stay in Switzerland, even with some adaptations to your plans.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 July 2022 at 10:41:10 #933734

Thanks Arno and Annika for your good wishes!

We can only extend our stay for one additional day. Which we will do. And hope that we have contracted the “short version” and it will have run its course by then. If so we will have one day for an easy walk given that’s probably all we will be able to muster! (This Covid beast is no joke.) We were able to do the Lauterbrunnen Valley walk and Grütschalp to Mürren before it got us. So Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg it will be! After that we will travel to Weggis for a few days then on to Munich. Safe travels everyone!

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 July 2022 at 8:00:43 #933735

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you Kim. Let’s hope you’ll manage Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg and a few additional days in Weggis. We stayed there a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it.

Get well soon!

Marggy
    Participant
    51 posts
    15 July 2022 at 21:34:05 #933736

Can you please let me know what the current isolation requirements are, if you test positive to COVID-19 in Switzerland. Some sources say 5 days, some 7 and some even say there is no need to isolate so I am confused.

Anna
    6274 posts
    16 July 2022 at 6:15:28 #933737

Hi Marggy,

As of 1st of April 2022, there are no longer any isolation or quarantine measures in Switzerland.

If you have symptoms or tested positive for COVID, you are not obliged to stay at home if you are in generally good condition and have manageable symptoms. However it is advisable to stay at home or minimise contact with others, if possible, for at least 5 to 7 days. And common hygiene measures applies such as wearing mask in public, washing your hands regularly and keeping your distance.

regards,

Anna

Viewing 11 posts - 1,061 through 1,071 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.