Dogs allowed in Swiss lakes?

• Ray_Buckle
    Participant
    2 posts
    26 February 2022 at 7:21:12 #826569

Hi,are dogs allowed in Swiss lakes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    26 February 2022 at 8:24:05 #939014

Hi Ray Buckle,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The quick answer to your question is yes. Switzerland is a very pet-friendly country. I see a lot of people take their dogs everywhere with them including to the lakes. Some lakes have restrictions or have designated places for dogs, so look around for signposted rules and do check with your surroundings before taking your dog into the lake.

You might also find this link useful if you’re travelling with your dog on public transports: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/dogs

Regards,

Anna

Ray_Buckle
    Participant
    2 posts
    26 February 2022 at 8:58:45 #939015

Thank you Anna

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    26 February 2022 at 13:13:08 #939016

We brought our dog last summer on our trip around Switzerland and found that some of the official parks on lakes didn’t allow dogs but they were allowed along areas outside of the parks. Because we were based a couple weeks in Ouchy we ended up taking out paddle boats with slides a number of times and our dog stayed on the boat with my husband while my girls and I went into the water. It was very cold but magical with fog along the water and France in the distance… and we numbed quickly:). We didn’t go into as many lakes for swimming (other than Lac Leman) in other areas of Switzerland, but our dog sure loved hiking! If you see this photo at the Matterhorn there were some dogs swimming in this little (cold!!!) lake.

Anna
    6384 posts
    26 February 2022 at 14:41:16 #939017

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I suppose it’s much more common to see dogs swimming in mountain lakes because there’s less crowd up there to complain about it 🙂

That’s a very cute dog by the way.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Dogs allowed in Swiss lakes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.