Dorint Hotel in Zurich from the train station

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2015 at 21:58:00 #807763

Hello,

I will be travelling from Salzburg to Zurich and reaching Zurich around 9:30 PM or so in the night.

I have a reservation at Dorint hotel in Opfikon.

What train station should I be getting down at to reach this hotel? Will the train from Salzburg stop only at Zurich and Zurich airport or will it be stopping at all local stations in Zurich as well? I have luggage with me and so anything more than a 5 minute walk may not be ideal. Is it possible to get a cab/taxi at the train station at this time in the night? Also, if I have to walk, is this neighborhood safe at night?

Murty

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 August 2015 at 23:57:42 #845384

<<“”I have a reservation at Dorint hotel in Opfikon. “>>

The hotel is extremely close to the airport. The train might go through the airport. It is clearly an airport hotel.

Check to see if they offer a pickup. That would be easy. get odff at the airport, or take a quick trip out to the airport from Zürich main station.

If no pickup, take an expensive taxi. It is a short distance …from the airport.

If you have no stops near the hotel (See map below) you may wish to –

1.continue to Zürich main station and take a taxi back out (count on 60-70 CHF,)

2.- or…look for trains that get close at that time of night.

I’d suggest that you call the hotel for their advice, with your train ticket in hand.

If you want to study local trains. you need a map and a link that takes a “via” entry,

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

map.classic.search.ch/

It is wise to deal with these issues ahead of time. Good thinking!

Slowpoke

PS- A map might help you.

I have attached the map that the hotel offers.

hotel-airport-zuerich.dorint.com/en/ contact-directions/

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 August 2015 at 8:26:27 #845385

Indeed, the hotel is very close to the airport, but I don’t think your train from Salzburg stops at the airport (assuming the 15:56 train from Salzburg, arriving 21:20 in Zurich). You can take a train from Zurich to Zurich airport. This hotel does not offer a free shuttle service like many others (see here), but they do offer a paid one for CHF 12. It’s operated by “Check-In all-ways” and departs from the Arrival area between terminal 1 and 2.

The nearest rail station is Kloten Balsberg. So another option is to take a train from Zurich to that station. I estimate it’s a 10 minute walk to the hotel. As Slowpoke mentioned, taking a taxi is an option too. Personally I would prefer the shuttle or a taxi at night and with luggage.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2015 at 9:29:14 #845386

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

or, http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The time table shows that 9 trains depart Zürich Main Station for Zürich Airport during the hour after you arrive at 2120.

I, personally prefer NOT to walk with luggage at night in a strange neighborhood. I’d make an exception from the airport, because the hotel is very close to the airport, but not if I had my usual load of luggage for a long trip. The cab might take Euros; exchange rateis somewhere around 1 euro to 1 CHF these days.

They all seem to take credit cards these days.

Of the options discussed above, the simplest is to take a taxi from the main station, which is quite busy at that hour. It will be about a 15 minute ride, maybe as little as 10 minutes. It will cost around 70 or 80 CHF. If lucky, maybe 60 CHF. Cabs in Switzerland are expensive. No extra charge for baggage.

The next best option is considerably less expensive. Take the train to the airport and get to the hotel from there.

Of the 9 trains within the hour after your arrival, the 2137 t0 the airport is shown in the timetable to have a high occupancy. Not good with luggage. The next one, at 2139 has normal occupancy , and leaves from track 13. That will be convenient. You come into track 9.

http://www.sbb.ch/bahnhof-services/am-bahnhof/bahnhof/shopvi lle-zuerich-hb/geschaefte/shopdeta il.onesbb-shopdetail.html/de/zue rich/09_eg_hh_treffpun kt.html

You will be near the ticket machines. The one at 0944 leaves from track 33, which is a bit more of a walk.

At the train station, a 2 CHF coin in the slot on the lock that plugs the luggage cart into the queue gets the cart out of the queue and is returned to you when you plug it into a queue at the end. It may also take a 2 euro or a 1 euro coin instead. Luggage carts can ride the escalators.

Take the train to the airport. The train station is below the building across the street which has shops, parking,a food court, etc,

The luggage carts are free and can ride the escalators.

Next. my personal choice would be the shuttle for a fee mentioned by Arno. Cheaper than a taxi.

In daylight, with light luggage I would walk it. Not at night after a long train ride.

• The thread ‘Dorint Hotel in Zurich from the train station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.