Easy Hiking trails during winter time

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2010 at 1:48:03 #804083

Hi there!

My name is William and I am from Australia.
    Me and my wife are planning for a white christmas in Switzerland this year, and have decided to stay in interlaken/Lauterbrunnen for three days to admire the swiss alps. We are not experienced hikers but we are interested in doing some walks. The following two got my attention because they are graded as easy and are panaromic at the same time:

Mannlichen -> Kleine Scheidegg
    Grütschalp -> Mürren
    Lauterbrunnen -> Stechelberg

I am just wondering if these two routes are still walkable in end of December? We only have good walking shoes but don’t have special hiking boots.

I have also read from other websites that it is possible to hike from Mürren to Gimmelwald. What it is like to hike that route in winter?

Thanks for your help in advance 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    28 October 2010 at 4:26:39 #832073

Hello William,

Last weekend the hiking track from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg was closed, and I’m pretty sure it will not be opened again before the snow has gone. Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg will always be doable, it’s a beautiful hike through the valley and rather easy too. For the hike from Grütschalp to Mürren you are dependable on the cable cars which will take you up to Grütschalp (from Lauterbrunnen) and down to Stechelberg (from Mürren), or the other way around. Normally spoken these cable cars are operating, but perhaps it’s a good idea to check if there’s no maintenance going on when you want to go. Information can be found on the SBB Timetable. I think you have made some wonderful choices here (spoken from own experience).

If you want more information about hikes in the Bernese Oberland these hiking tips and day trips may help you as well. But it’s always advisable to check if hiking tracks are open.

I hope this is of any help, if not, I will be happy to search for more information for you.

Have a nice trip! I am in Switzerland right now, and we’ve had snow already. But also very sunny days. Great country!

zeearend
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 November 2010 at 3:21:23 #832074

hello william
    you say , i have walking shoes, but you need for walking in these period off the year good mountain shoes , becaus the route to gimmelwald is steep and there will be snow
    a nice walk, is from lauterbrunnen to zweilutchinen, you walk all the way alongside the weitzeluchine, you can make this walk longer ,and walk to wilderswil you pass averry nice village named gesteigwiller, its about 20 km total
    the way manlichen scheidegg is open whenn they prepair the route, but that is only when there is enough snow
    But when this route is closed you have to visit the top of manlichen , you have there a stunnig vieuw over the swiss alps.
    sory for my enlish
    see on you tube – with the hit wengen walking for my films

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 November 2010 at 6:21:13 #832075

Hi zeearend,

Can you provide a link to your videos? A lot of videos show up on Youtube when searching for “wengen walking”. I’m not sure which are yours. I’m curious to see!

zeearend
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 November 2010 at 1:43:56 #832076

hello Arno , maby with the link wengen wandelen
    it are two films of picturs , and my name is zeevalk on these pictures

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 November 2010 at 15:24:04 #832077

Thanks zeearend,

I found your http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJiRhU9Gy0″>first and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFHrOa73ivY”>second video about Wengen. Great overview of Wengen, its surroundings, Bern and some other places as well!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2011 at 1:50:12 #832078

[quote]zeearend said: hello Arno , maby with the link wengen wandelen
    it are two films of picturs , and my name is zeevalk on these pictures[/quote]Hi

I notice you uploaded your video in March. Which month did you visit Switzerland.

I’m wondering what’s the temperature in the city and in the alps in the first week of March

Also, if can only bring 1 pair of boots which whoudl you recommend? normal boots, hiking boots or snow boots.

Thanks =)

• The thread ‘Easy Hiking trails during winter time’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.