How to eat for cheap in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 23:06:49 #815841

I’m visiting Switzerland (Jungfrau region) in a week. I plan on mostly eating supermarket food prepared and cooked at my airbnb home. What kind of foods should I look for at coop/migros/denner if I want to save as much money as possible? If I ate only supermarket food, how much should I expect to spend in a day approximately?

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 4:20:15 #884695

HI dsa88,

I’m not sure what you mean by “what kind of foods should I look for to save money”

If you are buying ready to eat food, I would think you could keep your meal prices to around 12 chf. If you are cooking at home it is much harder to know as it depends on what you want to cook.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 13:08:05 #884696

What I mean is that certain foods are cheaper in certain countries. For example, beans are really cheap where I live but might be more expensive elsewhere. What staple foods are the cheapest in Switzerland? What do low-income people eat in Switzerland?

Sorry if it’s a strange question but I just want to save as much money as possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 15:15:08 #884697

That’s a good question – I am not sure what the cheapest type of food is in Switzerland.
    I suppose canned foods from the grocery store brands? That is, Coop and Migros has their own brand of pasta, canned beans etc. That is usually the cheapest option in general.

I don’t know that Switzerland is known for any type of cheap food. It is known for its chocolate and cheese but neither is particularly cheap.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 15:18:58 #884698

Alright, thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 15:47:00 #884699

Check to see if the supermarket has an ad on their website to check prices. If not, look for specials when you shop. Anything you cook yourself will be cheaper than eating out.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:27:13 #884700

I hate to be rude, but the best solution may be not to come to Switzerland at all. You would hate the place for being so expensive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:41:11 #884701

Haha, I’ve already paid for my plane ticket, 12 days’ worth of airbnb/hotels, and a 15 day swiss travel pass. There’s no turning back.

I’m aware it’s very expensive but I’m willing to pay what is necessary. I’m not broke, I just don’t want to spend more than I have to. That way I can save more money so I can come back to Switzerland one day.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 May 2018 at 20:47:40 #884702

OK.

The low-cost, yet typical Swiss meal is potato roesti. Add a sunny-side up egg, and maybe a salad if it’s ok for your wallet. If you have that every evening, you’ll eat just like I did when I visited my grandma.

http://www.theguardian.com/li feandstyle/wordofmouth /2011/oct/13/how-to-cook-perfect-rosti

Otherwise, dark bread and cheese.

A variety of sausages (Bratwurst/saucisse à rôtir).

• The thread ‘How to eat for cheap in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.