Engadin Star train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2015 at 22:30:20 #807168

Hi Moderator,

Is it possible to do a 1 day round trip starting from Chur to Torino by Bernina Express and then return to St. Moritz by local train and ride the Engadin Star train back to Chur?

Pls. advise how to find the Engadin Star train time table.

Thank you

JP

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    3 May 2015 at 10:29:50 #842847

Hi JP,

As far as I know the Engadin Star no longer operates under that name. There used to be such a train a couple of years ago. However, there are still direct trains on the same route from St. Moritz via Zernez and Klosters to Landquart (10 minutes by train from Chur). A very nice train ride actually. Whether you can fit this in one day with the Bernina Express can be checked in the timetable. I think it’s possible but it will be a very long day. If you travel in Summer, sunset will be late so you do have a lot of time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2015 at 7:06:32 #842848

Hi Arno,

Appreciate your information. I have searched the train route similar to Engadin Star and have worked out a round trip schedule.

Yes, it will be a very long day journey. We wish to save a bit of time to shorten the trip of the Berninia Express (BEX). I have searched the intermediate stops for the BEX, there is no time marked at Alp Grüm, the time to arrive Poschiavo is 12:08, again there is no time marked at Le Prese, then it arrives at Tirano 12:45. Does it mean that the BEX will not stop at Alp Grum and Le Prese? Will we miss the scenic route if we get off at Poschiavo and return to St. Moritz?

Thank you

Josephine

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 May 2015 at 7:21:59 #842849

Hi Josephine,

The train does stop in Alp Grüm (10:57) and Le Prese (12:16). You can see so by clicking through to the train details in the timetable. If you get off in Poschiavo you’ve covered the best part of the route. The circular viaduct in Brusio (between Le Prese and Tirano) is really nice, but if you have that much traveling in one day, getting off in Poschiavo is fine.

• The thread ‘Engadin Star train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.