ETIAS visa and medical insurance for US citizen

• Pumpkinpie17
    Participant
    16 posts
    14 June 2022 at 5:21:02 #827494

Hello,

I am citizen of USA and planning to travel to Switzerland from France (by train) for less than one week. I was reading about ETIAS visa here –

http://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-countries/switzerland-etias

Seems the ETIAS visa will be mandatory from May 2023, but do I need to register in the ETIAS system before entering Switzerland?

The other question I have is about requirement for medical insurance. Do I need to purchase medical insurance for travel to Switzerland for 30000 Euro per head? Can you please tell if I need medical insurance for travel to France as well?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    14 June 2022 at 8:05:56 #943212

Hi Pumpkinpie17,

Based on the information given, yes you do need to register in the ETIAS system if you are a non-EU citizen from an eligible country. This includes the USA. Medical insurance is not a requirement but you are recommended to take out a travel insurance for your travels.

Only visitors who are not eligible for an ETIAS (non-eligible countries) are required to produce supporting documents including evidence of travel or medical insurance with a minimum cover of €30,000.

For current information on visa and entry requirements into Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/visa

Regards,

Anna

Pumpkinpie17
    Participant
    16 posts
    14 June 2022 at 18:02:58 #943213

Thank you Anna for the information.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 June 2022 at 8:05:40 #943214

Hi Pumpkinpie17,

When will you be traveling? If it’s before March/April/May 2023 (which is when ETIAS will probably be launched), you don’t have to deal with any ETIAS regulations yet. You don’t need a Schengen visa and the accompanying travel insurance requirements either as a US citizen. The current rules will still apply as described at https://www.myswissalps.com/visa. See the paragraph “Entry rules for citizens of the United States” there as well.

Pumpkinpie17
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 June 2022 at 17:47:28 #943215

Hi Arno,

We have plans to travel Switzerland this August 2022. I am checking the link you provided.

Thank you so much for the details and information.

Regards.

• The thread ‘ETIAS visa and medical insurance for US citizen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.