Eurail Global Pass coverage Switzerland/Italy

• Jenner
    Participant
    30 posts
    19 June 2022 at 11:01:25 #827542

Hi there,

Need help to advise on Eurail Global Pass.

I read about this EGP but still very confused.

I need to know does this Pass cover all the train routes under SBB in Switzerland? Can advise what are not cover under this Pass?

Can this Pass use on all the train routes in Italy under Trenitalia ?

From Lucerne to Milan, I assume the train ticket, correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks ~ Jenner

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 June 2022 at 12:40:51 #943389

Hi Jenner!

The Eurail Global Pass covers nearly all regular train routes in Switzerland. It doesn’t matter whether those trains are operated by the SBB or one of the many other Swiss rail companies (http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/railcompanies). Here are some tips:

• You can find explanation about coverage and download the validity map with all details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass/validity. You can also browse the list of Swiss activities at that page and see if those are free or discounted with the Eurail Global Pass.
    • As explained at that page and at http://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass, this pass does not cover city transport (such as trams) and it doesn’t cover most Swiss buses.
    • It provides discounts on cable cars.
    • Some Swiss boats are for free, and others are discounted.

Likewise, the pass covers the main train routes in Italy. The company by which the trains are run (Trenitalita or other companies) doesn’t matter.

If you have a valid Eurail Global Pass, the route Lucerne-Milan is covered and you don’t need an additional ticket.

I hope this clears your doubts.

Lauramassad
    Participant
    5 posts
    20 June 2022 at 5:33:51 #943390

We are travelling from Zermatt to Grindelwald. It looks like our Eurail pass is valid only to Interlaken and we will need to buy a rail ticket from Interlaken to Grindelwald. Am I correct? Is this a ticket we should purchase in advance to get a less expensive fare or does the fare stay the same? Also are supersaver tickets for a specific time on a specific train with no refund if you miss the train? Thanks

Anna
    6382 posts
    20 June 2022 at 10:57:52 #943391

Hi Lauramassad,

The Eurail Global Pass gives you 25% discount between Interlaken and Grindelwald. You can buy the discounted tickets from any train station. Please present your pass at the counter. Please use the links provides by Arno above to download the validity map.

A Supersaver ticket is only valid for the specifc connection you purchased it for. If you miss your connection, you will not get a refund and you have to pay for a new ticket to travel on the next or later connection.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass coverage Switzerland/Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.