Eurail Global/Select Pass promo 2nd class

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 4:18:30 #875563

Hello there, I’m planning to buy Eurail Select Passes for our 60-year old group of 4 to travel in France & Switzerland for 9 days starting end of August till beginning of September. The 2nd class promo is very exciting. On the Eurail site it said: available in February & March. Does it mean that I can buy now and still use it for my summer trip?

Also, please help to choose the right one: Eurail Select Pass or Swiss Travel Pass with additional tickets purchase for France part. We planned to fly to Zurich and take a train to Colmar to see Strasbourg & Nancy for a few days. Then ride back to Luzern as a base for a few days to see Interlaken and mount vicinity, then Lausanne and Geneva, maybe take a bus to Chamonix and fly back to USA from Geneva.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 11:10:10 #875564

Hi losif, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Yes, you can buy them now and use them later. As per Arno’s post, passes can be activated until 11 months after purchase.

Please visit how to choose the best rail pass to help you make a decision. It depends on how many trips you’re planning to make in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 20:46:12 #875565

Thanks a lot Chantal, I’ll definitely put all numbers to compare

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 February 2018 at 10:06:41 #875566

There’s a 10% additional discount on the Eurail Global Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/10-valentines-day-discount-eurailinterrail-pass

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    14 February 2018 at 17:17:31 #875567

Hello,

I’m sorry for the newbie question, but can someone explain how this works?

We will be 3 people taking the TGV-Lyria from Paris to Switzerland + 2 people Milan to Brig + 5 people Brig to Rome + 3 people Florence to Milan.

Does this pass apply to our travel?

Thank you so much for all your help,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 7:48:51 #875568

Hi chandni177,

Yes, a Eurail Select Pass or Eurail Global Pass will cover those routes. Buying a rail pass like those usually only makes economic sense if you have quite a few train trips around 2 or more countries.

You’ll need to plan out all your trips within Switzerland as well as those trips into and out of Switzerland and do the math to see which pass makes the most sense. It might be that you want to look at a Swiss rail pass for Swiss travel and then point to point tickets into and out of Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 11:32:25 #875569

Hi,

I have 10-15 May in Switzerland and 15-19 in Paris. Does the global pass make better sense? Also, does this pass offer the same facilities as the Swiss Travel Pass? I could see that this pass offers 25% discount on Jungfrau line. Doesn’t the Swiss travel pass offer 50%?

Further, if my travel on Day 1 starts from Spiez to Interlaken, then does this pass cover it? Also, I want to travel to Bern and back to Interlaken on the same day. Hope it holds good for that as well? At Bern, can I use this pass for Gurten Hill tram ride.

We are 2 Adults + 1 Kid. Will really appreciate your inputs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 13:54:09 #875570

The Swiss Travel Pass offers 25% on Jungfraujoch. More on the validity of the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

To understand which pass to purchase, you will have to do the math as Lucas discussed in his post. If you are only traveling in two countries, I wouldn’t recommend the Eurail Global Pass. It might be that you also want to look at a Swiss rail pass for Swiss travel and then point to point tickets into and out of Switzerland.

I’m not sure if you can use any rail pass for the Gurten Hill funicular. If not, a return ticket is only CHF 10,-.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 19:54:16 #875571

Hi there,

It’s my first free & easy trip to europe, so I’ve got a couple of questions to ask. I’ll appreciate if you guys can help me out! 🙂

I’ll be traveling to Europe (mid april) total 3 adults. We’ll be visiting Italy, France, Switzerland and we’re planning to get the Eurail global select pass ( 3 countries ) Would that be the best choice for us?

Also, could you help me understand this a little better? I saw some discounts on certain boat / train rides within Switzerland if we do own the Eurail select pass , is that right?

We’re thinking of visiting Jungfraujoch or Mount Titlis & Lake Thun. I think there’s a 25% off for Jungfraujoch and free boat ride to & fro for Lake Thun?

If all information is correct, could I also ask you to help advise where should we do the bookings/reservations for these locations ? Are we able to do it online or only at the attractions. ( eg. flash our eurail passes or something? )

Thank you in advance for the help!

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 March 2018 at 21:05:04 #875572

Hi sus2727,

Gurten is 50% discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass. It is not included in Eurail passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 7:15:53 #875573

Hi Jaeet7 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Can I ask you to post your questions again on a new thread? This thread is just about the promotion and you’ll get more replies and help on a new thread as well. 🙂

Just copy and paste your post on a new thread here.

Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 8:46:07 #875574

Hi Lucas,

Sorry about that!

Just posted it out on a new thread.

Thanks!

• The thread ‘Eurail Global/Select Pass promo 2nd class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.