Can I use Euros in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2019 at 11:23:51 #820311

Hi,

Can i use euro in Switzerland? How the exchange rate?

If i change euro in swiss franc in Switzerland can i get better exchange rate?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2019 at 14:32:47 #906070

Hi Yasyip!

Please have a look at our section on Euros vs Swiss francs here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

From your other posts I see you’re planning to spend a few days in Switzerland in various areas. I would therefore say you definitely need to get Swiss francs, unless you are planning to pay everything by credit card but it may not be feasible for small purchases.

You have various options to get Swiss francs, either exchange them in your home country in advance (sometimes this is cheaper), at the airport, or withdraw Swiss francs in Switzerland using a debit card on an ATM machine, of which there are plenty at the airport 🙂

Maria.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    11 March 2019 at 8:00:05 #906071

HI Yip from Malaysia,

Switzerland is not part of the Euro network. There may be some parts of Switzerland that may accept Euro’s but I personally doubt it. Maybe near border towns but I wouldn’t chance it, personally. I don’t know where the best rates are, but I would either have them or get them at airport or train stations upon arrival. I know a lot of smaller places didn’t take credit cards, so its best to have at least some with you. As far as your STP, all you have to do is board a train and the conductor will validate it once you present it to him/her. It then is validated for your whole trip. It’s that easy. Enjoy your trip.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 8:18:16 #906072

Hi Yasyip,

As already said by the other members paying in Euros is overall a quite widely accepted in Switzerland. Be aware that normally you can only use Euro paper money, no coins and your change will be in Swiss Francs.

A good place to exchange money in Switzerland is at the SBB train stations, handy when you travel by train anyway. They offer transparent and fair rates and are quite widely available throughout the country.

Use this link to search train stations and then check if they have “currency exchange” as one of the offered services.
    http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/further-stations.html

Have a great time in Switzerland.

Best,
    Steph

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    11 March 2019 at 8:40:59 #906073

Hi Steph,

Sorry for the bad advice on this one. Thanks for clearing that up for me. : ) I wasn’t aware that Euro’s were so widely accepted, I just didn’t think they were. Good to know for future. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Can I use Euros in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.