Exchanging franc notes for coins,where?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 1:49:26 #807698

For my upcoming Switzerland trip, I ordered francs from my bank and all I got is 10 franc notes.

As I hear lockers need 5 franc coins, some toilets need 2 franc coins. Where in Switzerland I can exchange coins for notes? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:43:26 #845038

>> For my upcoming Switzerland trip, I ordered francs from my bank and all I got is 10 franc notes.As I hear lockers need 5 franc coins, some toilets need 2 franc coins. Where in Switzerland I can exchange coins for notes? <<

You could go to a bank. However, I think the easiest way to get some coins is to buy something small when you arrive in Switzerland (a postcard, chocolate bar, drink etc), and you will get coins in your change.

Once I have some coins, I keep a few aside so I always have coins for things like toilets and lockers.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2015 at 23:25:59 #845039

At the toilets (Mac Clean) (and you pay for “Clean”) there are change makng machines. usually, one one does not work.

Often , one does work.

Same is true near self-service laundry shops.

Normally, i just buy a few things with my paper money.

10 Frank notes don’t last long in Switzerland. Pretty , aren’t they? They are hard to counterfeit.

If you plan to use the luggage carts at the train stations (not the airport) you will need a 2 CHF coin, maybe a 2 (?) Euro coin. You put your money in to release the cart; you plug your cart back into the queue to retrieve your coin.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2015 at 13:15:56 #845040

Thanks so much Alpenrose666 and Slowpoke for your responses and helpful tips/info.

• The thread ‘Exchanging franc notes for coins,where?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.