Expect the unexpected: fresh snow in July!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2016 at 13:12:29 #809698

Hi everyone,

We are in St. Moritz – this is not a full report as such – will post one later but couldn’t wait to share something unexpected with you!

We arrived here on Tuesday evening and it was a bit rainy and rain was forecast for Wednesday. It was dull during the day with a few showers but rain started heavily at teatime. Then to our astonishment at about 8 p.m. the rain turned to snow and it snowed most of the night. Next morning we woke to a covering of snow everywhere! We decide to go to Tirano rather than stay around here – more of that later! I have posted 2 photos of the view from hotel window Thurs a.m. with covering of snow on terrace and 2 photos taken from train – lots of snow on low ground as well as peaks!

Then 2 photos from hotel window on Saturday in sharp contrast – snow all gone, bright blue sky!

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    17 July 2016 at 16:29:29 #854269

Hi Maggie,

Well, this shows just how changeable weather in the Swiss Alps can be! Thanks for sharing your experiences and your great pictures. To me, the Engadine’s cooler climate is one of its appealing characteristics. And indeed, this means you can end up in the snow, even in summer months. Such a fresh layer of snow really adds to the scenery, especially once skies brighten up and the sun returns.

So you’ve experienced the train trip to Tirano over the Bernina Pass? I hope you liked it, and I wonder how you feel about the Engadine. Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2016 at 13:29:37 #854270

Hi Maggie,

Lovely photos, and what a fantastic view from your hotel! Those snowy landscapes look so pretty, and I hope you had some warm clothes for the unexpected cold. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip later.

Alpenrose

Adelaidean
    Participant
    121 posts
    5 February 2017 at 8:23:43 #854271

I just found your photos, and am reading your reports one by one. Very helpful. Love that you had snow and your contrasting photos a few days later. Our (Aussie) kids were very excited to get a light snowfall on the Karwendal one summer, both wearing their usual surfie board shorts 🙂 in the unexpected snow.

• The thread ‘Expect the unexpected: fresh snow in July!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.