Extreme Hiking near Lucerne – Via Ferrata

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    7 April 2018 at 11:49:40 #881268

Good grief, I got dizzy just looking at those pictures!

Great find!

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    7 April 2018 at 15:04:20 #881269

I find this type of adventure amazing to watch and admire their ambition. But even in my younger days I was not much of a risk taker. While not afraid of heights, I was never tempted to skydive or bungie jump. My daughter has done both.

Have you ever been exposed to the rock climber’s culture?They sort of live in a world of their own, like surfers.Twice I have talked to them at some length. First at the base of El Capitan where they would watch each other climb for literally days. More recently near Fitzroy, I spent an evening with someone who had recently climbed Fitzroy (I believe its twice the height of El Capitan).Their life consists of climbing and waiting to climb. Recently 2 people did a free ascent (safety ropes but didn’t use them to climb)of El Capitan. Even more amazing someone did a free solo ascent of El Capitan (no ropes at all) INSANE!

My relatively tame glacier hike with crampons and safety harness at Aiguille du Midi near Mt Blanc was adventure enough for me. see photo mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 19:02:24 #881270

Yes, I’ve been hearing about Alex Honnold the past few months. He has climbed quite a few mountains, including El Capitan with no ropes or safety gear at all. The YouTube videos are quite breath-taking!

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    8 April 2018 at 13:56:13 #881271

Hi Lucas

I looked up Alex Honnold on Wikipedia and saw where in addition to doing a free solo ascent of El Capitan. he also did a complete traverse of all the massifs in the FitzRoy group in 2014. It took 5 days and main peak is over 3400 meters. See att photos I took of FitzRoy this past January and imagine hiking that ridgeline. The local climber I talked to said it is a lifetime experience to climb just the main peak ( it took him 3 tries ). He was there when Honnold and Caldwell did their traverse and speaks of him as a ( minor ) deity.

Incidentally, in your website photo you look like an archetypical mountain climber to me. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:49:16 #881272

Ya, Alex is a little nutty I think! National Geographic did a write up and interview on him a couple months ago – which is where I first heard about him. They had a camera man follow him up on his ascent of El Capitan and I got dizzy just watching it.

I’m trying to fit in as a Swiss around here…beardy mountain man…it’s either that or the Swiss banker look which I can’t afford. 🙂 That bearded look also works well to fit in in Russia…you just have to frown a lot and they think you are Russian!

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    8 April 2018 at 21:39:13 #881273

Da

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2018 at 21:03:27 #881274

More speed climbing El Capitan.

• The thread ‘Extreme Hiking near Lucerne – Via Ferrata’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.