Swiss Family Card requires no extra ticket?

• JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 July 2018 at 13:18:40 #817233

Hi, I’ll be staying in Wengen in August, and will be flying to Basel and then train from there. I will be buying a half fare card for me, and getting a family pass so that my 2 sons can travel along for free. I had some confusion with this last time i was there, and accidentally bought tickets for them for the Basel-Interlaken train journey, which was fine i got it refunded, but I just would like to clarify if my understanding is correct:

1) For the normal trains, I only need to buy a ticket for me, for half fare. There is no ticket to buy for the children, they just get on the train.

2) For the mountain railways and cablecars, again do I only need to pay half fare for me, and the children just hop on board for free, no ticket at all required, or do they pay half fare? Same with the Jungfrau train.

I have actually done all this before but remember feeling uncomfortable not having actual tickets for the children on each trip, so I just want to check this is how it works before I go.

Thanks,

Jo.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 14:37:57 #891158

Hi Jo,

Correct. Your children never need to buy a ticket on the Swiss Family Card. You can read more details on our web page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swissfamilycard/ howtouse

As long as you have a valid Swiss Half Fare Card and ticket for the trip you take and they have the Swiss Family Card you are all set.

Winnie
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 July 2018 at 17:42:38 #891159

Hi… we are a couple visiting zurich lucerne grindelwald lauterbrenen engelberg … we will stay a week in august

we are a couple (both will carry swiss half fare card)

we have a daughter aged 5 with us…

will she be travelling free with us on cable cars and cogwheel trains ?? For instance when travelling to mount pilatus or grindelwald first??

since we will be renting a car we need half fare card for mountain tops in uietelber(zurich) and other mountain tops like rigi pilatus and around grindelwald and engelberg… will our daughter travel to these tops free of charge ?or we need to buy any other swiss card??

thankyou in anticipation

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 July 2018 at 18:32:57 #891160

Hi Winnie,

Children up to 5 travel for free everywhere: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/discounts. But if you have the Swiss Family Card that’s fine 🙂

Winnie
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 July 2018 at 19:11:09 #891161

O thats great news…..

we had decided on half fare card… since we are travelling on rented car… but we will be travelling to 1.uietelberg mountain(zurrich

2.boat ride to rhine falls

3.mount pilatus(maybe evn mt.rigi)

4. Cruise/boat in lake brienz(

5.grindelwald first i belive in cable cars(up n down)

6.mount titlis

7.trumelbach falls

now im thinking that… should we purchace 8 day swiss travel pass (worth chf 393 fr 2nd class) instead of half fare pass 😬

what are experts opinions???

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 July 2018 at 19:25:23 #891162

Hi Winnie, I’m no expert, but you basically have to do the maths: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. With the Swiss travel pass you still have to pay half fare in the mountains, so the half fare could end up cheaper in the long run, but you need to figure out how many trips on normal/mountain railways you will do and try to estimate the cost. Have fun!

Winnie
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 July 2018 at 19:59:33 #891163

Yes i checked just now fares of harder kulum first gondola and mount titlis…. so i think both 1/2fare card and swiss pass give you 50% discount at all these places… so half fare card for us then….

1.half fare card will give us discount ls on lake boats too??

2. Its my first time there but im thinking that there might be boats / ferries operated by private companies so we need to go a specific company run by sbb??

Winnie
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 July 2018 at 20:28:54 #891164

Im searching for the price of cruise on lake brienz but so far no luck… any one has any idea how mich a first class ticket costs??

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 July 2018 at 20:56:42 #891165

Hi Winnie,

SBB is the biggest, but only one of countless transport companies in Switzerland. You don’t need to consider the operator, only routes. If a route is on the validity map you’ll get the discount: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/validi ty. This applies to Lake Briez too.

Links to regular ticket prices can be found on all our attraction pages, here for example: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakebrienz/tickets. You’ll get 50% off with a Swiss Half Fare Card or free traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Please post further questions in a new thread as this is no longer relevant to Jo’s original question. Thanks!

Winnie
    Participant
    13 posts
    13 July 2018 at 7:51:30 #891166

<<SBB is the biggest, but only one of countless transport companies in Switzerland.>> that makes things easy!!

Thanks a million !!

• The thread ‘Swiss Family Card requires no extra ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.