Family of six & train travel – some advice please!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2014 at 15:00:26 #806233

Hello there. Our family of six (2 adults and children aged 12, 10, 10 & 7) are visiting Switzerland in August 2014 for one week. We’ve never been to Switzerland and are very excited! We’re leaving the car at home and are planning to buy the Swiss Flexi Passes (2nd class). We’re staying in Lauterbrunnen and will be flying from London to Geneva (back from Zurich). Our first day involves quite a lot of travelling as we’re taking the train from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen via Visp (we’ve chosen this route as I’ve been told it’s very scenic). We’re familiar with very overcrowded trains in the UK and wondered how Swiss trains compare? Am I right in thinking that seat reservations can’t be made on ordinary trains? If so, do you reckon that the six of us will manage to get seats? I realise that the trains are likely to be busy in August but I’m just wondering how busy they get!! NB We’re not planning to take trips on any of the Panoramic/special trains – I realise you can make advance seat reservations for these. Any tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thank you. Susie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 February 2014 at 19:20:09 #839491

Hello Susie, welcome to MySwissAlps,

In general Swiss trains are not overcrowded. Of course there are exceptions such as Saturdays in Winter when everyone is traveling to ski resorts, or when big events take place somewhere. Other than that it should not be a problem to be seated together. Getting to the train in time helps. You will board at Geneva Airport and that’s where the trains to Visp/Brig start, so no issue there.

Seat reservations can be made for many trains, but it’s not necessary to do so other than for the panoramic trains you mentioned. An estimation of the occupancy of trains can be found in the timetable. It’s not available for all trains, but you can check for your connection.

Note that you do not need to switch trains in Visp if you want to enjoy the scenic route. Trains departing from Visp travel through a long tunnel and you won’t see anything until you reach Frutigen. Just stay seated until Brig and switch to the local train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg to Spiez. That’s much more scenic.

I hope this helps you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2014 at 19:28:37 #839492

Arno – thank you for your prompt response. That’s very reassuring about the seating – I know our children will be quite tired on that first day after an early flight from London. Your advice about travelling to Brig and then switching to a local train is also very helpful. Fantastic. I’m sure I’ll have more questions over the coming months! Susie

• The thread ‘Family of six & train travel – some advice please!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.