Family train/hike trip Switzerland: May vs summer

• Tram_joughin
    Participant
    13 posts
    29 July 2022 at 16:14:04 #827914

Hi,

Just planning at high level right now. We’re a family with 2 girls. They will be 7 and 4 next year.

Our focus is to take in nature, scenic train rides, easy walks/trails, waterfall, some amazing playgrounds that I have seen photos of.

I assume children 7 & 4 yr old can only go for easy walk/ trails and these are only available in valley and lower elevation only ? We’re just so excited about the train rides and lower walks around lakes etc . Perhaps this makes a difference and May is possible.

Would this be possible last week of May ? We will only have 1 week is this enough ? Would we get to see the spring flowers and if waterfall is better at this time ? These would be perks.

Is it better to wait to July where we could have up to 2 weeks for traveling. Assuming we would have to deal with big crowds ? When does this start and end in the Summer?

Places we have in mind is wengen, lauterb Would love to see some lakes. Anyone with recommendations on that please ?

Thank you everyone.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    29 July 2022 at 17:13:06 #944914

Hi Tram joughin,

The school holidays in Switzerland generally run from July until August . So if you’re not too keen about dealing with crowds, I suggest travelling in May. By this time of the year, most of the easy trails will be accessible and you will have plenty of options to choose from. Some useful information about the best time to visit is available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

Based on your plans and interests, I suggest choosing a base in the Jungfrau region and planning your 1 week itinerary around this region. Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are good options for a base. There are lots of mountain destinations nearby, which would appeal to your children such as Männlichen and Grindelwald First. Both mountain destinations have fantastic adventure playgrounds on site. You can also plan boat trips and walks around the two lakes, Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.

You can find more sightseeing and activity options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Family train/hike trip Switzerland: May vs summer’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.