First time in Switzerland for 5 days; where to go?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 6:24:26 #857626

Hi again.

Just was looking at accommodation in Luzern and unfortunately i was too late to book Hotel Des Alpes. All the rooms seem to be fully booked. I have then searched and found these 2 hotels that seem reasonable and have a great location but would like to know if anyone has stayed in any of these hotels and what they think of them. Hotel De La Paix and Garni Hotel Drie Konige Besides that any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Also, just to check, i have noticed that most 3 star hotels do not provide A/C and only fans are available. Is it necessary to have A/C at the end of June? It makes a big difference in the price from 3 star to 4 star hotels. Just wondering.

Thanks and regards

KamalS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:09:48 #857627

Hi KamalS,

While I haven’t stayed overnight in Luzern I am sure other members have and can chime in. Both hotels look reasonable to me and are in fairly good locations.
    Have you looked at our Luzern Hotel page?

It is hard to say whether you will need AC next June…it is certainly possible to be over 30 degrees in the summer or under 20.

I don’t recall it being under 27 degrees C between late June and early September last summer. I think that was unusal though. But if it is a big concern I can only suggest to upgrade to a hotel that features it.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:44:03 #857628

Hi KamalS –

I’ve stayed many times in Luzern, including early June. Never needed AC, except in Sept 2003 when there was a major heat wave. The Hotel Schiff, now closed, put me in an upper floor room with airflow from side to side through different windows, and it was OK.

Never tried late June. I don’t know those hotels, personally.

If I were doing it, I’d take the chance.

Towns near the mountains tend to have built in “natural” AC, in that at night , cold air comes down the slopes and cools that kind of town. Luzern has some of that capability from Pilatus, but not a lot.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 1:51:11 #857629

Thanks Lucas and Slowpoke for your replies. Will be doing a little more research before making my booking. Yes, I have looked at the Luzern hotel page and had some help from there as well. Thanks again.

Cheers. KamalS.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘First time in Switzerland for 5 days; where to go?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.