Best region for hiking in Switzerland in April?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Littlekasey1
Littlekasey1
5 posts
Jan 9, 2019 - 12:31 PM

My husband and I will be in Switzerland mid April. We are wanting to do some hiking (no overnight hikes, just day trips, moderate hiking) but we are not sure which region would be best. we would like to stay overnight and do a couple of hikes mixed with other activities (railcar, coaster ride etc) I have looked at Zermatt and Grindlewald. Any advice on which one, or is there another region that is better?

1960man
1960man
949 posts
top member
Jan 10, 2019 - 12:39 AM in reply to Littlekasey1

Mid-April in Zermatt is the tail end of the ski season, so hikes above a certain altitude may be closed.

Snow tends to melt sooner in the Grindelwald area, but there can always be late deluges of snow .

The alternative is lower altitude hiking which will show you the 'real' Switzerland (Farms, cows etc). Somewhere lower altitude but still 'alpine' like the Appenzell region is likely to be snow free by mid-April

Arno
Arno
11835 posts
expert &
Jan 10, 2019 - 7:58 AM

Hi Littlekasey1,

I'd tend to look at one of the lake areas, e.g. Lake Lucerne, Lake Geneva (Montreux), the south of Ticino perhaps.

Littlekasey1
Littlekasey1
5 posts
Jan 10, 2019 - 11:58 AM

Being our first time in Switzerland do you think it is necessary to book through a travel agent, or should we plan on our own. I was not sure about the tours and day trips to the hiking if there ate certain tours that book up.

Lucas
Lucas
10261 posts
expert &
Jan 10, 2019 - 4:56 PM in reply to Littlekasey1

Hi Littlekasey1,

I don't think it is needed to book everything via a travel agent but that is a personal call. Our website is here to help give people the information they need to plan their own trip - but you may not want to do all the planning and that is where paying a travel agent comes in.

Most hiking trails (www.myswissalps.com/hi king) in Switzerland are done without tours but you can probably find a guide if you want. Most guided hiking tours are for high level, long-distance hikes.

1960man
1960man
949 posts
top member
Jan 11, 2019 - 1:20 AM in reply to Littlekasey1

I would stick to your own agenda.

The Swiss walking network is legendary (with its iconic yellow signs)

All explained here:

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/more-wl/swiss-hiking-trail-federation.html

www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland.html

just look at how many trails there are just near the city of Luzern:

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderlan d&route=all&layers=Wan derland&bgLayer=pk&sea son=summer&resolution= 10&E=2671117&N=1213212

All Swiss holiday accomodation will have details/guides/maps etc of the local walking. Nearly all Swiss railway stations have a walking map on the wall of the building.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019