Free hikes in Bernese Oberland (e.g. no cable etc)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 13:23:41 #809548

Hi there,

My husband and I are staying in Sigriswil in mid-July this year for two full days and are keen to go on some hikes. We’re hiring a car so we’re hoping to avoid spending more money on transport (e.g. cable cars and trains) so can anyone suggest hikes which don’t require a cable car or train? We’d love to hike to Mürren and Lauterbrunnen Valley – can these be done without a cable car?

Thanks for your help

Bec

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2016 at 0:48:29 #853530

Hi Rebecca-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps. You have picked a wonderfully scenic region for your much too brief visit. 😉

I’d encourage you to spend some time with a map and read a bit more about the locations that do not allow automobiles.

map.search.ch/?x=-15536m&y=-25392m&z=8

In the map, zoom in. Turn “Traffic” on and off under “Points of Interest.”

In the Jungfrau region, south of Interlaken, you may take a car as far as Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (excellent parking at Lauterbrunen) and, if you go past Lauterbrunnen you may go further into the valley to Stechelberg. Here are the parking rates at Stechelberg:

schilthorn.ch/en/Angeb ot/Arrival/Parking_at_ Stechelberg

Thus, you can get that far by car. And, you can walk the valley floor. You can walk up to Mürren , too. It is only a 750 meter (+/-) climb from the valley floor via Grütschalp or Stechelberg.

Trying to visit the Jungfrau region without using public transport denies you the sight and experience of the most magnificent parts of the region. Unless you live in Europe or otherwise can expect to return, avoiding the cableways and railways might save money in the short term , but denies you the best sights and walks forever..

If you avoid the public transport, all the good stuff is higher up, in car free zones, and cannot be reached by car.

Sigriswil has bus access to Interlaken,. which is the major hub for public transport. Takes an hour with change in Gunten. Car would be faster. Not so sure about parking near IO. Maybe you could drive by and check out the parking. There is not a whole lot of parking near Interlaken Ost (if i recall correctly), the main hub.

Use the timetable

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and check the prices as far as Wengen, from Lauterbrunnen. Even that short trip rewards with wonderful views. (The fares from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen shown in the timetable are 50% discounted fares. Most Swiss have a half fare card.)

If the weather is good, the walk from Männlichen (above Wengen) to Kleine Scheidegg is one of the best short walks in Switzerland:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

See attached pictures.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 1:12:04 #853531

Thanks so much for your reply Slowpoke. Loads of helpful information 🙂

It sounds like it might be better to cancel our hire car and do everything by public transport? We’ll be staying in Sigriswil – is it easy enough to get to the hikes mentioned above, as well as pop over to Mt Niesen?

Thanks again.

Bec

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2016 at 1:22:54 #853532

Sigriswil is an issue, as I mentioned in my post before.

Everything else works very well by public transport. Sigriswil is out of the way, and adds an hour each way, in and out.

If you were staying for a week or two, and could save money by staying in Sigriswil, I’d say “Go for it.” With only two days, in my opinion, time is precious. I’d trade off more expense to get more touring time…my own opinion.

If Sigriswil is fixed, I’d use a car to get to public transport, because, for me, time would be the most precious commodity on two day trip.

I cannot advise you on <<“might be better “>>. Better depends on how you trade off time, cost and what you want to see and do. i know what I’d do, and have described it. But, cost is not a first priority for me.

What are your priorities? How would you trade off amongst them?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 6:06:26 #853533

Thanks so much for your help Slowpoke. Really appreciate it.

My husband and I have decided to take public transport as well so that we don’t miss out on all the amazing walks and sights further up 🙂

As we only have limited time (definitely coming back for longer next time!), can I ask if the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, the Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and the Grütschalp – Mürren walks can be done in the one day? Or is that a little too optimistic? 🙂

Thanks again.

Bec

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 June 2016 at 8:10:24 #853534

<<“As we only have limited time (definitely coming back for longer next time!), can I ask if the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, the Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and the Grütschalp – Mürren walks can be done in the one day? Or is that a little too optimistic? :-)”>>

Yes. Start early. Drive to Lauterbrunnen. Add about an hour at each end to get to from Sigriswil.

It would be best to take them in this order:

Drive to Lauterbrunnen. Go to Wengen and take the cableway up to Männlichen. On the way up, on the cograil from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, just before you enter Wengen station, look to the right. For just a few moments you see the view I posted above, but perhaps not as far into the valley, because it is rare to have such a clear day as I did when i took that picture.

In Wengen walk 5 minutes slightly uphill to the base station ( in German, die Talstation) of the cable way to Männlichen. Large car. Ride up to Männlichen (the Bergstation). Stop for a cup of coffee or to use the toilets at the restaurant. Walk to Kleine Scheidegg. The 1 1/2 hour walk (nicknamed the Grannies’ Trail because it is so easy) will take 2 hours or so,because you will want to stop to look or take some pictures along the way. As you near Kleine Scheidegg there are some short stretches of moderately down hill trail where the gravel can slip out from under your feet. I find a hiking staff invaluable at that stage, and I like to wear boots for ankle support. Many people walk the trail in sneakers; you don’t need boots or shoes with lugged soles, but you will appreciate them if you wear them.

PLEASE walk in the direction from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. You will begin to appreciate the fascination that many have for the Eiger. I have attached an image with a blow up of a crop to show the size of the hikers vs. the size of the mountain.

At Kleine Scheidegg, take the train down to Lauterbrunnen.

Go across the street, ride the cable way up to Grütschalp.

Walk to Mürren. Modestly up hill, but you face the Jungfrau Massif. If you walk the other way – downhill from Mürren, you have to keep turning around to look back over your shoulder.

The train that parallels your walk stops at Winteregg if you want to shorten the trip.

After you arrive in Mürren, walk 5-10 minutes to the station for the cableway that goes up to Schilthorn, or down to Stechelberg, ride down to Stechelberg ( two stages, 30 second transfer at Gimmelwald in the same building) .

From Stechelberg, it is a 4+ km walk to Lauterbrunen along an easy, mostly level path or road. If you begin to run out of time, and are walking along the bus route, you can catch a bus to Lauterbrunnen.

I put that last so that you can grab a bus if you run short of time or energy.

This map can be made to show the bus stops. In the menu, under Points of Interest/Traffic turn on the various types of stations, etc. I have done so.

map.search.ch/Schratte nfluh?x=-1965m&y=-29239m&z=32&poi=bergba hn,haltestelle,parkhau s

Get your car and drive back to Sigriswil, wishing that you had decided to stay in Wengen. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Free hikes in Bernese Oberland (e.g. no cable etc)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.