Free upgrade to 1st class Swiss Pass

• Arno
    15471 posts
    18 February 2011 at 7:44:13 #804205

Dear travelers,

Are you planning to travel in Switzerland before July? Our partner Rail Europe offers a free upgrade to 1st class if you order no later than April 13, 2011. This promotion is offered for Swiss Passes and Swiss Saver Passes of 8, 15, 22 days and 1 month. The last travel day for these upgraded passes is June 30, 2011.

Please click your (nearest) country for more information and ordering:

Argentina
    Australia
    Brazil
    Hong Kong
    India
    Israel
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Singapore
    South Africa

Enjoy your rides in the Swiss Alps!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2011 at 4:04:28 #832501

Dear Arno,
    If I have a swiss family pass(for a child of age 15 yrs) with the adult swiss saver pass, will the child also be eligible for upgrade to first class?
    Thanks
    Regards
    Neel

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 February 2011 at 12:39:52 #832502

Hello Neel,

I’m 99% sure you can just use your Swiss Family Pass, but I’ll check with Rail Europe and post back here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2011 at 2:05:22 #832503

Thanks . Eagerly awaiting your reply.
    Neel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2011 at 14:33:51 #832504

Hi,
    We currently have purchased a an 8 days swiss pass, so is it possible to upgrade it now, or is it only for new purchases?

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 February 2011 at 15:01:30 #832505

Hi Tommy,

I’m sorry, this is for new purchases only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2011 at 16:04:27 #832506

Yeah, I find these promotions annoying. Why only for people from certain countries? I bought my Swiss Pass early for a trip in May, so I lose out. Doesn’t seem right.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 February 2011 at 16:39:59 #832507

Hi StoneTramp. I see what you mean. I can’t answer it on behalf of Rail Europe though. They do offer quite a lot of discounts and other promotions, but not for Switzerland all the time. Currently, there are also Eurail promotions for US travelers, for example. The upgrade offer such as this one has been available in the UK and Ireland in the past, through another reseller. Anyway, hopefully you’ll be able to benefit from a future promotion. Enjoy your traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2011 at 19:28:49 #832508

Hello Arno,

I am new to this forum and found this blog/website informative. I am an Indian citizen and my wife is a canadian. If I order Swiss Rail pass for 15 consecutive days, as per the promotion I will get a free upgrade. My question is – will my wife get free upgrade too?

Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
    Shyam

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 February 2011 at 2:10:04 #832509

Hi Shyam,

I’m glad you like our website. Thanks! You can purchase an upgraded Swiss Saver Pass for 2 people so that you can both enjoy 1st class traveling.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 March 2011 at 10:29:19 #832510

In regard to Neel’s question: this promotion can be used with a Swiss Family Card. So you can order the upgrade to 1st class, and once in Switzerland, you can get the free Swiss Family Card at any manned station. This allows your children up to 15 years old to travel along for free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2011 at 3:51:29 #832511

Dear Moderator,
    Thank you for the informative forum.I need some info regarding the free upgrade.
    I plan to purchase two Swiss Saver pass and a single Swiss Youth saver pass for my travelling starting 26 June 2011 to 5 July 2011. I have three question here :
    1. Is the Swiss Youth Saver pass entitle for the free upgrade or should I just purchase three Swiss Saver Pass ?
    2. Me and my traveling companion are all Malaysia citizen, so according to your info we are entitle for the free upgrade,
    can i make the purchase online and pick up the ticket in USA as my pick up address and payment in US Dollar ??
    3. As my travel date beginning near the end of June and ends at the beginning of July, will the free upgrade cover this
    period.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 March 2011 at 3:29:32 #832512

Hello kalmas777,

Thanks for your compliments! As for your questions:

1. No, there is no upgraded Swiss Youth Pass available.
    2. Rail Europe in Singapore only ships to Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. You can order through their US website, but they don’t offer this upgrade there. They do have other promotions such as a free extra travel day on (1st class) Eurail Select Passes.
    3. No, it will cover the period up to June 30. That’s the last travel day for these upgraded passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2011 at 13:26:35 #832513

Thank you very much for your reply. Is the online price for the Swiss Saver Pass the same as the one sold at the station.
    I wondered if to purchase online or wait until i arrived. Thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 March 2011 at 2:52:33 #832514

Hi kalmas777,

Prices are different locally in Switzerland and through the several resellers. In your case, an online purchase would be cheaper. For example: an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for 3 people currently costs $ 975 online or $ 1,054.50 in Switzerland. You can click your country (US in this case) on the Swiss Pass page to find prices and to order.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2011 at 15:32:20 #832515

Hi,

We are planning to visit Swiss in June, my question is as follows -:

– I am an Indian citizen, currently working in Germany, can i avail this upgrade offer as i have a Indian passport.

– Can i request for a delivery in Germany or it can be only requested in India.

– Do i need to make a payment in INR? Can i pay by credit card

– Can i use this offer for my travel

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2011 at 1:10:47 #832516

Hi linadalal,

Yes, you qualify for this offer. Please note that they will ship to India only. Payment is in INR and various credit cards are accepted. You can click the link “India” in my post to see further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2011 at 2:40:50 #832517

Hi Arno,

Many thanks.

So we can avail this offer, even if currently we are residing and working in Germany.

With respect to the offer, as i understand with this pass if i buy a 8day 2nd class swiss travel pass i can commute in 1st class automatically across all swiss public transport and scenic trains?

Are there any other requierements before travel,
    like activation of pass or
    upgrade stamping formalities before travelling,
    or any addittional charges like extra reservation costs in 1st class beyond normal charges as part of the offer.

Are there any other costs ?

Regards,

Lina

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 March 2011 at 2:49:09 #832518

Hi Lina,

The offer means that you’ll pay the 2nd class price but you will receive a normal 1st class pass. So yes, you can use all public transport as indicated on the map we link to from the Swiss Pass page. The pass needs to be activated by railway personnel at any Swiss station. Seat reservations should be purchased separately if you want to travel on a train that requires them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2011 at 12:59:27 #832519

Hello,

I and my wife would be travelling on the following routes
    Zurich-lucerne-interlaken-zermatt- st mortiz-zurich.

we wish to travel by glacier express also.

Please guide is the upgraded swiss pass will support these routes and the glacier express.

We will be travelling between 10 and 25 may.

Thank you

Annika
    7104 posts
    14 March 2011 at 16:04:30 #832520

Hello deepanker. Yes, the (upgraded) Swiss Pass is valid on all routes you mention, including the Glacier Express. You only have to pay for an additional Glacier Express reservation fee, as seats have to be reserved for this train. The trip itself is for free though with a Swiss Pass. At our Swiss Pass page you’ll find a link to a map, showing the exact validity of the Swiss Pass.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Free upgrade to 1st class Swiss Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.