Fribourg trip report (Slowpoke”s travel tips)

• Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    23 October 2019 at 1:22:14 #824283

photos.app.goo.gl/ZWpo eJ4RJfcfDynm8

I absolutely LOVED Fribourg!

I spent my first two days (of my two week trip) in Lucerne. I enjoyed the time I spent there however I could have easily spent just one day there and been satisfied.

On the recommendation of Slowpoke, I traveled by train to Fribourg—a very cool medieval city and an amazing cultural destination. The bridges over the Sarine River link the French speaking part of Switzerland to the German speaking part.

The architecture is stunning! I climbed 365 stairs to the top of the Fribourg Cathedral and witnessed views of the city and the surrounding/distant mountains that were breathtaking! The climb up the stone stairs to the top of the cathedral tower was narrow and once on top, it was very windy. I was the only person up there so I took a really long time to take in the views.

My accommodation was out of this world! I stayed at the Hotel Restaurant au Sauvage as per Slowpoke’s recommendation. The suite was spacious with a very comfortable bed, a large bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower, beautiful antique furnishings in the sitting area and a sweet fruit and cookie welcome greeting awaiting me on the desk.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was exquisite! White glove service and a spectacular menu from which to choose. My meal was artfully presented and the accompanying wine came from a local vineyard & was delicious. Breakfast was equally delightful the next morning.

The funicular to the top of town was closed for maintenance So I climbed the staircase next to the funicular. The walk from the lower valley part of town to the upper part is steep but the views are incredible!

I visited the Espace Jean Tinguely-Nikki de St Phalle museum, the Gutenberg museum and the Fribourg Museum of Art and History—each museum was wonderful.

The Swiss Travel Pass made travel to Fribourg so simple and the entry fees to all the museums were included in the STP.

I thoroughly enjoyed my one night/ two days in Fribourg and would highly recommend a visit. Many thanks to Slowpoke for recommending this gem of a city and the fantastic hotel/restaurant suggestion! Top notch!

I sincerely hope the link to some of the Fribourg photos works!!

photos.app.goo.gl/ZWpo eJ4RJfcfDynm8

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2019 at 5:29:03 #924118

Hello Swatchme,

Thanks for the travel report and photos of Fribourg! When I click the link, it works; photos did upload onto your report. I enjoy seeing the delicious food you had and the spectacular views.

I’m happy to read that you found the Swiss Travel Pass beneficial to all your travels, and you went to see museums too.

Yes, Slowpoke is a valuable member/expert with his priceless knowledge of Switzerland and his detailed contributions to the forum. I’m glad he recommended Fribourg to you!

Keep the travel reports, and photos coming in!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    24 October 2019 at 0:46:10 #924119

Thank you for your reply, Suzanne! I have so many photos from my visit and I could write about my travels for a very long time…I’m only on Day 3 of 14!

The forum is INVALUABLE when planning a trip to Switzerland. I cannot thank everyone here enough for all of the helpful advice and suggestions. My vacation exceeded the best of dreams!!

Stay tuned 🙂 and thanks, again!

Felicia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2019 at 6:01:17 #924120

Hello Felicia,

Wow! The greatest compliments are to see that the suggestions on the forum help make the trips to Switzerland memorable. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I eagerly wait for your next travel report and photos!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 October 2019 at 3:32:07 #924121

Hi Felicia,

Thanks for sharing your experiences and photos/ Keep them coming.

I was recently in Neuchâtel. Fribourg was on the bucket list while there but somehow it didn’t happen. Based on your report I’ll bump it up the priority list for next time.

Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 October 2019 at 4:36:54 #924122

Hello again Suzanne,

Thank YOU and everyone here on this AMAZING forum!!! My trip was stress free and enjoyable thanks to everything I learned here. Slowpoke can attest to the fact that I was about 2 months too late planning my trip 🙂 as I planned the entire trip in under a month!! I had THE BEST trip ever—thanks, in very large part, to the MySwissAlps forum 🙂 So, a long way of saying thank YOU and everyone here for this invaluable site.

Many more photos and stories to come!

Thanks again,

Felicia

Swatchme
    Participant
    41 posts
    25 October 2019 at 5:10:14 #924123

Hello Rockoyster,

Thank you for your reply. Fribourg was such a neat place. I will definitely return on my next visit to Switzerland. Aside from my profession, I also have a small business on the side working as a mosaic artist. My first formal teacher (at the time, at the only mosaic school in the USA) was inspired by and introduced me to the work of Niki de St Phalle. Naturally, I was drawn to the museum featuring the work of Niki and her husband Jean Tinguely. It was wonderful!

I am a huge fan/advocate for “lost arts” so the Gutenberg museum was another must see. I love love love letterpress so it was really cool to see the ancient presses!

The city is filled with amazing architecture—-there seems to be bridges everywhere including lots of footbridges. The old walls, fortification rings, towers and medieval castles from as early as 1157 are still intact & can be visited from April to November. Very fascinating history and I loved that one side of the city is French speaking, the other German speaking!

I hope you enjoy a visit to Fribourg on your next trip. Slowpoke’s recommendation for accommodation at The Hotel and Restaurant au Sauvage was superb!

Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Fribourg trip report (Slowpoke”s travel tips)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.