From Meiringen to Gsteig.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2010 at 8:12:07 #803900

Me and two other persons (3 adults) we plan to spend this summer holiday in the Bernen Alps. We are thinking about a hiking trial between Meiringen and Gsteig. Of course, we are open to consider other trials. We plan to hike during 5-6 days, we hope to hike 6 hours a day. We would to spend each night in a moutain hut/hotel.
    So, w’d be extremely happy if you could give us your sugestions on the hiking trials. We also need some advice on an accomodation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    7 July 2010 at 2:43:18 #831513

Hello Alstef,

For starters, please view this page for hiking tips and this page for day trips.
    I’m sure this will give you some idea of the possibilities.

As for hotels, you might have a starting point here or on this site.

Tourist offices in the places you would like to stay can give you information about mountain huts in the neighbourhood. I think this will be the most easy way for you to find out.

Last but not least I also like to give you this link – it’s about hiking, preparation and safety.

I hope I have helped you and I wish you a very nice stay in Switzerland!

Olga

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2010 at 7:57:25 #831514

Dear Olga,

Thank you very much for your help

a

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    7 July 2010 at 19:59:34 #831515

Alstef:

Are you thinking of the Alpine Pass Route (Via Alpina) section from Meiringen to Gsteig? If so, this route features two of the most challenging hikes in the area — over the Sefinennfurge and Hohturli passes. These are quite steep with occasional challenging footing and considerable exposure. I would not recommend this route unless you and your companions are experienced mountain hikers and are not bothered by heights or steep drop offs. Here is a link that describes the entire Via Alpina, included the sections you are suggesting
    http://activityworkshop.net/hiking/alpinepassroute/index.html

Additionally, it would be difficult to get all the way from Meiringen to Gsteig in only five or six days.

My husband and I and another couple (all VERY experienced alpine hikers) took seven days to do this route last summer (we did the entire Via Alpina). And you will be very tired doing it seven days in a row! The Via Alpina site recommends taking eight days to do it.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    8 July 2010 at 1:49:18 #831516

Hello Kim,

Thank you! That is useful information for me and others too. To tell you the truth: I was thinking about Gsteig near Interlaken. I’m happy you shared this information, as well as your own experience on this route. It’s probably what Alstef meant.

Olga

PS: I think it’s tunnel vision ;-). That’s what you get when you spend year after year after year near Interlaken… But I should have known better. Well, and so we are learning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2010 at 5:55:10 #831517

Hello Kim,

Thank you very much for your good advice. Me and my companions arn’t experienced mountain hikers. We were thinking about the “Bear Trek” What do you think about it?

a

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    8 July 2010 at 13:51:24 #831518

I think it would be far too difficult. Bear Trek takes you over Sefinefurgge and Hohtürli, the two very challenging passes I noted in previous post.

Are you sure you want to stay in huts? Most huts are very primitive: no electricity, no running water, communal pit toilets. Further, I think it is too difficult for inexperienced mountain hikers to walk from hut to hut in this region, or probably any region of Switzerland. The hut system is designed to provide basic shelter for aggressive and experienced alpine hikers.

My recommendation would be to stay in one location and do a series of day hikes. That way you can travel about with only a light day pack and end up on trails that will be more suitable (and enjoyable) for your experience level. I highly recommend Wengen as a base. It is a car-free village above Lauterbrunnen with breath-taking scenery. From there you can do dozens of hikes. I have a 30 page document about hiking in this region that I would be happy to send you but I need your email address to do so. You can send it to me via this site’s private message feature; don’t post your email address on the public forum.

• The thread ‘From Meiringen to Gsteig.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.