From Wengen – to Montreux or Zermatt first?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 3:45:36 #814480

Hi, I’m traveling to Switzerland in August with my family and have the itinerary almost figure out. 2 days Lucerne, 3 days Wengen but I don’t know where to go next. I was planning on taking the Golden Pass to Montreux since I hear it’s a beautiful ride, and stay day for a day and a half there, then go to Zermatt for 2 days, then return to Geneva the last day (we leave from Geneva) or should I go from Wengen to Zermatt , 2 days, and then go to Montreux for 2 days. I wanted to go on the panoramic train from Interlaken to Montreux if I go to Zermatt first I won’t be able to do that. Is there a panoramic train from Interlaken to Zermatt? Will I miss something great if I don’t take the Golden Pass? Please advice. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2018 at 5:12:41 #877044

Hi acapote and Welcome to MySwiss Alps,

You can go either way.

Let’s say you go for Zermatt first.

If you go Interlaken to Zermat via Kandersteg you will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. It takes a bit longer but the more direct route between Spiez and Visp goes through quite a long tunnel so you miss a lot of the scenery.

From Zermatt you can take the faster route back up to Spiez and then head to Montruex via Zweisimmen on the Golden Pass Line.

Or go to Montreux via Visp and follow the Rhone Valley. From there you can still take the Golden Pass train up to Spiez and return by a faster route through Bern.

Many permutations.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 6:17:39 #877045

Yes, I’d follow Rockoyster’s advice to Zermatt.

Another solid option would be go straight to Montreux and on one of your mornings or afternoons take the Golden Pass as far as Gstaad (1h 45m) or all the way to Zweisimmen (another 30 minutes).

That leg of the Golden Pass is one the Panoramic train and is, I think, the most interesting. From Gstaad you could also take a bus to the Glacier 3000 if it interests you – read about a day trip I took there (from Zurich) here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2018 at 17:28:04 #877046

Thank you Rockoyster and Lucas for your advice.

I am so excited about this trip, Can’t wait!

• The thread ‘From Wengen – to Montreux or Zermatt first?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.