From Wengen - to Montreux or Zermatt first?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
acapote
acapote
3 posts
Feb 23, 2018 - 3:45 AM

Hi, I'm traveling to Switzerland in August with my family and have the itinerary almost figure out. 2 days Lucerne, 3 days Wengen but I don't know where to go next. I was planning on taking the Golden Pass to Montreux since I hear it's a beautiful ride, and stay day for a day and a half there, then go to Zermatt for 2 days, then return to Geneva the last day (we leave from Geneva) or should I go from Wengen to Zermatt , 2 days, and then go to Montreux for 2 days. I wanted to go on the panoramic train from Interlaken to Montreux if I go to Zermatt first I won't be able to do that. Is there a panoramic train from Interlaken to Zermatt? Will I miss something great if I don't take the Golden Pass? Please advice. Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
4074 posts
expert
Feb 23, 2018 - 5:12 AM in reply to acapote

Hi acapote and Welcome to MySwiss Alps,

You can go either way.

Let's say you go for Zermatt first.

If you go Interlaken to Zermat via Kandersteg you will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. It takes a bit longer but the more direct route between Spiez and Visp goes through quite a long tunnel so you miss a lot of the scenery.

From Zermatt you can take the faster route back up to Spiez and then head to Montruex via Zweisimmen on the Golden Pass Line.

Or go to Montreux via Visp and follow the Rhone Valley. From there you can still take the Golden Pass train up to Spiez and return by a faster route through Bern.

Many permutations.

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Feb 23, 2018 - 6:17 AM in reply to acapote

Yes, I'd follow Rockoyster's advice to Zermatt.

Another solid option would be go straight to Montreux and on one of your mornings or afternoons take the Golden Pass as far as Gstaad (1h 45m) or all the way to Zweisimmen (another 30 minutes).

That leg of the Golden Pass is one the Panoramic train and is, I think, the most interesting. From Gstaad you could also take a bus to the Glacier 3000 if it interests you - read about a day trip I took there (from Zurich) here.

acapote
acapote
3 posts
Feb 23, 2018 - 5:28 PM

Thank you Rockoyster and Lucas for your advice.

I am so excited about this trip, Can't wait!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018