Geneva airport or Geneva to Montreux?

• Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 November 2017 at 15:24:31 #813628

Hi,

We arrive, Nov and 25th at 12:30 , into Geneva airport and will need to get to our hotel in Montreux. I have two questions regarding the SBB trains:

– While I would guess it is more convenient to leave from Geneva airport train station is the Geneva station close and easy to get to from the airport? We are concerned that with collecting our luggage we may be tight to make one versus the other.

– Both GVA and Geneva have trains all day running about every hour or even only about 30 min apart EXCEPT for the time period we would be looking at. From GVA, from 1:53 to 5:20 there are no trains and from Geneva from 2:17 there is no train until 4:17? That seems so weird to me.

Thanks for the help,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2017 at 18:31:48 #871645

HI Fritzrab,

Which timetable are you looking at? There are trains running from Geneva airport to Montreux about every 20 minutes all through the afternoon on Nov.25 as normal. All trains from Geneva airport stop in Geneva. Some trains are direct to Montreux from the airport and some require a change in Lausanne.

Are you using the Swiss railways timetable for Geneva to Montreux?

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 November 2017 at 18:39:14 #871646

You will, hopefully, laugh. I put in 1:00 for the time, meaning 1 pm. But your trains run on a 24-hour clock so that was really 1 in the morning. Thankfully you are right. When I put in 13:00 for the time we have many choices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2017 at 18:41:33 #871647

That did make me chuckle and I do understand what went wrong – being Canadian it took me few mistakes to get it right as well!

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 November 2017 at 18:50:19 #871648

Your a Canadian living in Switzerland? I have not explored Canada at all but am developing a strong desire to visit Old Quebec and the areas around there. Sounds like a gorgeous part of the world. At the moment my new love, for the past 2 years, has been Switzerland. Nothing like traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 6:51:23 #871649

Yes, Moved here with my wife a little over two years ago. I’m from the West Coast (Victoria and Vancouver) and haven’t spent much time east of Alberta!

Finally went to Quebec (holiday from here in Switzerland oddly enough) and thought Quebec city was awesome – also did a 10 day road trip of the Gaspe Peninsula which was also really cool.

Have a great trip here!

• The thread ‘Geneva airport or Geneva to Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.